Hello All.

I am completely new to watch repair.

I have watched Mark's videos and I feel confident stripping a movement down, BUT, I know I would fail to be able to reassemble in the correct order, Is there an industry standard way to organise parts for reassembling ?

David Miles ( UK )

Get yourself trays to organise the parts. Keep the screws together with their bridges.

Take many photos as you strip down to reference when putting back together and get yourself a good set of screwdrivers and tweezers.

Read up on how to sharpen your screwdrivers to fit the movement you are working on.

Buy some cheap old Swiss watches to practice on, start with manual wind watches.

You will almost certainly damage the first few watches you practice on thats why you need to start on cheap watches.

Also get yourself a few good books to read, Donald De Carles books are good, but if you want a modern one I recommend Maintaining and Repairing Mechanical Watches by Mark W. Wiles.

5 hours ago, DJMiles said:

Hello All.

I am completely new to watch repair.

I have watched Mark's videos and I feel confident stripping a movement down, BUT, I know I would fail to be able to reassemble in the correct order, Is there an industry standard way to organise parts for reassembling ?

David Miles ( UK )

David, An introduction first would be much appreciated before asking questions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DJMiles said:

I know I would fail to be able to reassemble in the correct order, Is there an industry standard way to organise parts for reassembling

Us beginners must take extreme measures.  I photograph every step.  I've a camera with a macro lens set up on a table top tripod with an infra remote.  I just keep sliding the movement or parts on a cushion under the camera and snap away.  Its saved ,me several times.  Of course once a bit of experience comes, you start to understand whats what and where it goes, but I'm on the early part of the curve so photograph like crazy