Rolex GMT cal 3075 service problems

I posted in an earlier post the problems I was having getting a retaining clip for the Rotor. However this problem is bigger than I first thought. This watch was supposedly serviced  by a very reputable Swiss watch company who charged £475. this was over 2 years ago. It ran for a few weeks after but then stopped. Why he did not take it back is another story.
Anyway onto my tale of woe. When I opened the watch case this is what I found. In my opinion this watch has not been cleaned. When I removed the reversing wheels they were filthy. 

691486942_Firsstinspectionafteropeningwatch.thumb.jpg.8c02188a19d653590883b95c01611cef.jpg

I have not been able to find a replacement bridge so I have secured the old jewel with loctite. However this is not good because it should be secured by what looks like a rubbed in jewel method. see below:

37091542_ScreenShot2018-07-10at13_56_46.png.f32302315481f988f10cf66738b1e223.png

My question is does anyone know where i could purchase a new new jewel or a replacement bridge. The customer will have to pay so cost is not an issue.

If the replacement clip works it has a chance but I am not happy. 

The movement is cal.  3075

I'm not sure if the bridge of the basic calibre 3035 is interchangable (maybe the only difference is the writing on it?).

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Rolex-3035-5061-Automatic-Device-Bridge-Upper-Spare-Parts/263767064237?hash=item3d69bdfead:g:RzAAAOSwgoxbKOLn

Another possibility is to contact Kevin in New Zealand. He could help me with many 15xx parts in the past, maybe he has the bridge.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/viewtopic.php?f=207673&t=235524&p=535888&hilit="movement+parts"#p535888

Here are many lists of spare parts for Rolex calibres:

https://www.r-l-x.de/forum/showthread.php/88631-Werk-Ersatzteillisten

In the 3035 list there are the parts 95063 and 95063-1. I think one of them is the one you need if you want to replace the jewel and they're available on ebay.

Erik

3 hours ago, Delgetti said:

I'm not sure if the bridge of the basic calibre 3035 is interchangable (maybe the only difference is the writing on it?).

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Rolex-3035-5061-Automatic-Device-Bridge-Upper-Spare-Parts/263767064237?hash=item3d69bdfead:g:RzAAAOSwgoxbKOLn

Another possibility is to contact Kevin in New Zealand. He could help me with many 15xx parts in the past, maybe he has the bridge.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/viewtopic.php?f=207673&t=235524&p=535888&hilit="movement+parts"#p535888

Here are many lists of spare parts for Rolex calibres:

https://www.r-l-x.de/forum/showthread.php/88631-Werk-Ersatzteillisten

In the 3035 list there are the parts 95063 and 95063-1. I think one of them is the one you need if you want to replace the jewel and they're available on ebay.

Erik

Thanks Erik, The bridge for the 3035 certainly looks the same. I tried to register with the website you have given but it was not successful. If my repair does not work then this could be an option. The cousins catalogue picture shown (pp198) is correct BUT the clips supplied are a completely different style. So I still have not got the correct clip. I have put in a bid on eBay for one I found in France. I have some small c clips that are too thick and they might work but again I have my doubts.
What fun !!!!

If you have the tools I suppose you could widen the jewel hole,  turn a chaton for the jewel, and press fit the assembly.  The measurements would have to be spot on though and I'm not certain you could press in a jewel that was originally designed to be rubbed in.  Perhaps they have a different outside geometry than a typical friction fit stone.

Another thing to consider is how much stress the oscillating weight would put on this fix.  Perhaps that's why Rolex used a rubbed in jewel as opposed to a press fit?

• Like 1

In my opinion, this is a big Achilles heel of the Rolex movement. Otherwise it's a farm tractor and will run no matter what.

The jeweled rotor is quiet, but problematic.

I suspect you have a worn axle on the rotor as well. Jewel and axle should both be changed together. If the jewel hole is oversize, you could TRY locktite bearing set (slightly different than threadlocker) if the fit is "close enough". If it's really sloppy, you could try the ghetto solution of rebuilding the bore with epoxy and then reaming to the correct diameter. But there's a lot of load on the jewel so it might totally fail (something to try AFTER you find a replacement bridge)

Now for the bad news: I had this done by a Rolex authorized dealer/shop for my 5512 and the rotor still rubs.

If at all possible, I suggest finding the local authorized dealer, and see if they can order the complete winding bridge for that caliber. Parts will be a) expensive and b) on an exchange basis. I have seen earlier bridges available on ebay but honestly haven't been looking for this caliber. Other bridges from the family will fit; however for a Rolex in particular, it would be best to get the correctly marked bridge since they are available.

Another option is www.rolexforums.com where they have sellers from around the world with parts. Prices tend to be competitive to the open retail market. You may have to register to purchase...

In my opinion, this is a big Achilles heel of the Rolex movement. Otherwise it's a farm tractor and will run no matter what.
The jeweled rotor is quiet, but problematic.
I suspect you have a worn axle on the rotor as well. Jewel and axle should both be changed together. If the jewel hole is oversize, you could TRY locktite bearing set (slightly different than threadlocker) if the fit is "close enough". If it's really sloppy, you could try the ghetto solution of rebuilding the bore with epoxy and then reaming to the correct diameter. But there's a lot of load on the jewel so it might totally fail (something to try AFTER you find a replacement bridge)
Now for the bad news: I had this done by a Rolex authorized dealer/shop for my 5512 and the rotor still rubs.
If at all possible, I suggest finding the local authorized dealer, and see if they can order the complete winding bridge for that caliber. Parts will be a) expensive and B) on an exchange basis. I have seen earlier bridges available on ebay but honestly haven't been looking for this caliber. Other bridges from the family will fit; however for a Rolex in particular, it would be best to get the correctly marked bridge since they are available.
Another option is www.rolexforums.com where they have sellers from around the world with parts. Prices tend to be competitive to the open retail market. You may have to register to purchase...

Thanks I have inspected the axle as I know this is a known fault with Rolex. However it is in good condition. Probably a new/good quality used bridge will be required. That will be the decision the customer will have to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. The repair I did with the jewel seems to have worked. It had been on test since Saturday morning and was taken off Tuesday morning. The jewel is still holding great. I have returned it to the customer giving the customer my reservations. If the jewel does fail I now have a spare bridge. The clip that was  missing I purchased from cousins although a few thou under the original spec it is working fine. 

WHAT FUN !!!

ON TEST

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Just an update. The repair I did with the jewel seems to have worked. It had been on test since Saturday morning and was taken off Tuesday morning. The jewel is still holding great. I have returned it to the customer giving the customer my reservations. If the jewel does fail I now have a spare bridge. The clip that was  missing I purchased from cousins although a few thou under the original spec it is working fine. 
WHAT FUN !!!

ON TEST

Hello,
I’ve just posted about my Rolex Daytona Cosmograph 11650, are you able to assist? Are you in the UK?
Thank you.

18 hours ago, messinapete said:

Hello,
I’ve just posted about my Rolex Daytona Cosmograph 11650, are you able to assist? Are you in the UK?
Thank you.

Sorry can not find your post.