Watch Pin Rounding Cutter

Titanium

In George Daniels book "Watchmaking" he talks about "rounding cutters" which are used for rounding the ends of pins however I can't find one anywhere. Does someone know where to buy them or be able to give me a Bergeon part number. I have attached the images from the book.Thanks.

Rounding.jpg

Yes I made my own, I used 1/8 inch silver steel and a triangle file and filed the grooves at 90 degrees to each other.

I then hardened the silver steel and tempered it to straw colour.

I then fitted it into a brass handle made like a watchmakers screwdriver.

If clocks interest you I recommend the book 'Tools for the Clockmaker & Repairer' by John Wilding which goes into details of making many tools including this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Yes I made my own, I used 1/8 inch silver steel and a triangle file and filed the grooves at 90 degrees to each other.

I then hardened the silver steel and tempered it to straw colour.

I then fitted it into a brass handle made like a watchmakers screwdriver.

If clocks interest you I recommend the book 'Tools for the Clockmaker & Repairer' by John Wilding which goes into details of making many tools including this one.

good show!  make your own,  "tool maker".    vin

On 7/12/2018 at 10:17 AM, Tmuir said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ve ordered in some cup burrs and they do the job well.

I’ll check the book out as I seem to spend quite a bit of my time modify non watch tools into “watch tools”.

And whilst I’m at this it’s worth mentioning just how divers a tool a micromotor is.