Help...Rolex Airking Crown/Stem Issue

SWIM, pulled out the winding stem, while holding down the release button to replace the crown gasket and now when I try to reinstall the winding stem, it seems to engage the gear train and rotates the hour/min hands, but does not wind the watch, nor does it now run.  None of these symptoms were present until the stem was removed.

Is something damaged, and/or is there an easy fix to correct this situation?

I can take/add images if needed.

TIA,

MjB

Something has probably moved in the keyless work . Usually is the setting lever that has jumped of the clutch wheel . you probably need to remove the hands and dial and maybe the date mechanism to fix that. Don't know how handy your are with tinker with watches. But sounds as it's a job for a watchmaker. 

• Like 1

I have had this happen to some watches.

First try remove the stem. Then as you are reinserting it, rotate it a bit left to right to make sure it goes into the castle gear bit.

Then if it goes in all the way, give the release lever a few presses whilst gently wiggling (very gently) the crown stem in and out (just a hair, less than 0.1mm).

Then try and pull the stem out so as to set the time, then push it back in.

It should be back to normal.

If not you can either remove the dial and hands as mentioned, or alternatively remove the automatic winding assembly, then remove the mainspring barrel bridge and try and reseat the castle gear and other bits onto the setting lever. As I hate removing hands on expensive watches, I usually go this route.

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

I always thought that on 1520 movements the stem was released by turning a screw ... not a pushing a release button

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Correct. If the stem in effect has just been pulled out then there is the fault. Hopefully not to much damage !!!!

On 7/11/2018 at 5:43 AM, bartonhall said:

Thanks to you that have responded.  I have not had a chance to work on it yet but am encouraged by the suggestions.  As for manodeoro's questions, based on the serial number, it is from 1982 and has a 1520 in it.

Would you post a larger view of your movement ?
With the stem out but close to its place ?
BTW ... your Air-King looks great !!!

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:14 AM, clockboy said:

Correct. If the stem in effect has just been pulled out then there is the fault. Hopefully not to much damage !!!!

Absolutely.

Seventh post, second picture. Just "north" of the stem centerline is a small recessed screw. That is the stem release screw.

I had one break one me on a 1570 and it is an absolute nightmare to change- you tear the movement down about 50% just to get to it...

If the stem just pulled out (since whatever you pressed did nothing to assist stem removal) you need a new stem.

Absolutely.
Seventh post, second picture. Just "north" of the stem centerline is a small recessed screw. That is the stem release screw.
I had one break one me on a 1570 and it is an absolute nightmare to change- you tear the movement down about 50% just to get to it...
If the stem just pulled out (since whatever you pressed did nothing to assist stem removal) you need a new stem.

The only way to be certain is the OP post more pics of the movement and the stem as they are now

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

On 7/11/2018 at 5:43 AM, bartonhall said:

I have not had a chance to work on it yet but am encouraged by the suggestions.

Have you worked with watch mov.ts before, and do you have all the tools and lubricants needed? If not, you're taking a big risk starting out on such a valuable piece.

Topic moved as the question is not specific enough and there is no information to discuss technically.

5 hours ago, manodeoro said:

The only way to be certain is the OP post more pics of the movement and the stem as they are now

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Well, sure, but if the stem pulled out without loosening the screw, the stem is worn and needs to be replaced.

Or, the retaining plate screw (mentioned earlier) is broken as mine did...

But, for the cost of a stem, it is foolish economy to not replace it in my opinion.

If it was me/my watch, I'd be checking the crown and tube very carefully as well, and replacing if needed. Might as well at least replace the O-rings since it has to come apart anyway.

Hi all,

I appreciate all the insight you are bringing to my situation.  Here are some additional images, post auto removal.  I do have replacement o rings so I aim to add some value.  Let me know what you see and thanks!

20180713_183132.jpg

20180713_183142.jpg

20180713_183158.jpg

20180713_183638.jpg

20180713_183702.jpg

20180713_183726.jpg