Epee Dial Competition time

Lenj

Hi All,

Just a bit of fun.. I ask here about find a replacement dial for my L'Epee, and Oldhippy gave me a contact for repairing, well I wrote off and ask if it could be repair and a cost if possible..Well Today I got a reply saying Yes they can repair it. So what do you think the cost would be?? photo as below..I was very surprised that they could repair it, given the state of this dial..

IMG_20180628_192843.jpg

About the possibility, and given the state of your dial, I would call that a reprint more than a repair.
About the price it really depends on the method they'll use, decal and varnish, reprint, enamel, etc ...
So I think the best would be to ask them about the method and price.

May I ask who did the draft on the left of your pic ?
There is so much errors compared to the one on the right that, if it's not amended, the final result could be so so and not that close to the original.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

3 hours ago, clockboy said:

Whatever the cost it will certainly be more than the clock is worth.

Indeed !!!

@Lenj 

If you really want an enamel dial you'd better search for another clock, not working but with a nice dial ... you will loose time (searching) but save money, given the price they are sold on the bay.

If you can live with a redone/fake dial then here's what you can do :

1 - design the dial on Illustrator

2 - print the dial on a clear decal paper

3 - prepare a new dial plate with white spray-paint (or sand and repaint the existing one but it wont be easier)

4 - put the printed clear decal on the white dial plate

5 - spray 2 coats of glossy/satin/matte (choose the finish you want) varnish ... 3 coats could be better

6 - enjoy your l'Epée clock

All that can sound a little difficult at first but it's really easy to do.

You can even "age" it a little before spraying the varnish so that it doesn't look new. 

Edited by manodeoro

10 hours ago, manodeoro said:

Indeed !!!

@Lenj 

If you really want an enamel dial you'd better search for another clock, not working but with a nice dial ... you will loose time (searching) but save money, given the price they are sold on the bay.

If you can live with a redone/fake dial then here's what you can do :

1 - design the dial on Illustrator

2 - print the dial on a clear decal paper

3 - prepare a new dial plate with white spray-paint (or sand and repaint the existing one but it wont be easier)

4 - put the printed clear decal on the white dial plate

5 - spray 2 coats of glossy/satin/matte (choose the finish you want) varnish ... 3 coats could be better

6 - enjoy your l'Epée clock

All that can sound a little difficult at first but it's really easy to do.

You can even "age" it a little before spraying the varnish so that it doesn't look new. 

Hi thanks for the info.. Yes seem a good idea, I already have done the artwork and made a laminated card, which does look a lot better than the damaged dial..And yes will be a long tome before one turns up on ebay..

Len

Hi All,

Well done all pretty close, but as Clockboy said, no matter how much it costs the clock will not be worth it..Anyway If anyone is interested they can repair the dial for £165 plus £9.00 delkivery way to much and yes clock would not be worth that much and it would not be an original, which would knock a few pounds off the value.

If only L Epee would come back with a price of a replacement dial, it would be very interesting to see how much it would be for a genuine replacement....

Laminated dial it is then!!!!

Len

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

If you value your clock and would like as near original as possible I think its worth it. That’s me I do not like fake or something that is not original in clocks.

Agree Oldhippy, it will not be original to the clock, I will hang on to it to see if one comes up, never know might be one soon...