Timex 1978 Rally Dial - Before and After

JerseyMo

The former owner of this watch apparently test the "Water Resistant" print on the dial on this 1978 Timex.  Yes, it failed the test and left behind  a damage 106 movement.

But, no worries because I had recently salvaged the movement from a 109 that I knew could be swapped in.  that is once I add in the date assembly and date wheel detent spring.

TIP:  the 104, 105, 106, and 109 all have the same base movement inside. What makes them different is the date and or day date complication. by swapping a few bits you can interchange all of them. Okay you can even use them in a 116 and just have to nip the seconds pinon down about 2MM.  ssshhhh keep this a secret!

-edit:  I forgot to mention the dial did suffer some damage as well but, I think it give some character to the watch now.  

Here are the before and after-  I also gave it a good scrubbing, buffed out the crystal such.

before.jpg

Damage.JPG

After.JPG

Edited by JerseyMo
added more info
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, anilv said:

Beautiful.. I keep meaning to get one of these sports watches but the base metal cases put me off.

Anilv

The case is chrome plated with a stainless steel cast back. So these do hold up well.  The movement is more of the weaker component  as the click is rather thin and tends to wear down.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manodeoro said:

Those TIMEX/KELTON watches look great though they were cheap watches.
I’ll do a complete service of a handwind one this summer so I’ll post the pics and process here.

look forward to seeing how you conduct the service of one.

2 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

look forward to seeing how you conduct the service of one.

You'll have to wait till august cause I'm leaving next week for a 2 weeks beach'n surf session B)

But I'll do my best to take as many pics as possible while I'll do that and post everything here ... if I manage not to kill it of course :biggrin:

Edited by manodeoro

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...