Airport X-Ray Machines, Any Damage ?

I've been travelling around lately in & out of airports and have had to put my watch through the x-ray machine.

I just wondered if it could have any adverse affects magnetizing, etc,? 

I'll be off again in a couple of days & if there's any doubt I'll leave them behind    :unsure:

Hi atimegoneby,

I don't know if it is the right answer but think about all those people that go through the same situation wearing their watches and not a ripple of comments so far. I believe you will be safe.

If in doubt I would not take my best watch with me and afterwards will check with a compass for magnetism...check also before you start just to compare results. In any case, maybe someone else more knowledgeable can add/correct my line of thought and little experience on this interesting subject.

Hi atimegoneby,

I don't know if it is the right answer but think about all those people that go through the same situation wearing their watches and not a ripple of comments so far. I believe you will be safe.

If in doubt I would not take my best watch with me and afterwards will check with a compass for magnetism...check also before you start just to compare results. In any case, maybe someone else more knowledgeable can add/correct my line of thought and little experience on this interesting subject.

Thanks Bob,

I wasn't sure if I was being a bit paranoid, I know these machines can ruin camera film & guessing they might use some magnetic field.

Reminded me of a funny.  A guy who worked for me had a stud through his bell end. Yup you guessed it, always set off the metal detector machine and always had to go into the strip down zone. Never understood the guy but it he always made me smile.

Edited by clockboy

Reminded me of a funny.  A guy who worked for me had a stud through his bell end. Yup you guessed it, always set off the metal detector machine and always had to go into the strip down zone. Never understood the guy but it he always made me smile.

It must be handy to attach your pocket watch chain if you are not wearing a waistcoat !    :startle:   :D

• Like 1

X-ray's won't harm your watch. At the end of the day, it's just a different wavelength of light (just sufficiently energetic to penetrate your body and play games with your DNA) and your watch has so far survived the Sun ;). You're already being bombarded by x-rays everyday as normal background radiation. To put it in perspective, a typical visit for a hospital x-ray scan (not a CT which is off the scale in comparison!) amounts to about a week of normal background exposure.