How to replace a crown

This may be an in appropriate question because it concerns a Quartz watch.  I personally do not own a Quartz watch and have never worked on one.  A friend collects golf memorabilia and came across this watch.  It has some collectible value and is a few years old. It appears to be a substantial watch and is very different than the cheap Chinese watches that I see so often.  This is a watch that was given to those who purchased high priced tickets to the Augusta Masters Golf Tournament.  (Yes I live in Augusta, GA and there are a lot of Master's souvenirs floating around).  

The problem is that the crown is missing.  I thought that the stem might be missing also, but when I opened the case the stem was present.  As you can see in the pictures, the stem ends in a "sleeve" which appears to be made of brass.  There is a hole in the end of the sleeve.  I probed the hole with a tiny wire to the best of my ability and believe that there are no threads in the hole.  

Now the question.  Is it possible to replace the crown on such a watch?  Where can I acquire a crown?  How can I determine what size crown is needed?  I need to add here that there is no manufacturer's mark on the watch, or at least if there is one I have not found it yet.  Does a stem extension fit into the end of the existing stem?  

Any and all help or comments will be appreciated.  

Bill in Augusta, Georgia

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hmmm. I thought about what it could be. It’s possible that the sleeve is the remains of the broken off crown and it is simply still threaded onto the stem. If so, you could unscrew it and find another crown with a sleeve to fit the stem and case combination. Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gpsluvr said:

Hmmm. I thought about what it could be. It’s possible that the sleeve is the remains of the broken off crown and it is simply still threaded onto the stem. If so, you could unscrew it and find another crown with a sleeve to fit the stem and case combination. Steve

I would say Gpsluvr is correct. That is what I thought when I looked.

I also agree. Try unscrewing the sleeve from the stem. Them measure the crown stem diameter to determine her TAP size. I have a billion crowns....sorry I don't live next door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, all the answers were good advise.  The sleeve turned out to be a remnant of the crown that had broken off.  I gripped the stem and turned it off with a pin vise.  So far things were going well, but the stem was so short that when in the case the stem did not reach the threads of the crown.  I attempted to remove the stem and planned to first put on the crown, then push the stem in.  During the attempted stem removal, it broke.  So I am back to step one.  I am unsure where to look for a stem, but I plan a web search.

Thanks to all who gave such good advise.  

Bill