First clock repair...How do I open it?

ftwizard

You now need to remove it from the case. That inside ring should just pull our, unscrew the feet and the top and push from the front. Once removed can you show me a photo around the spring to include the click, as some of these types do not have a normal click spring and click.

That is just what I expected to see. You cannot un-wind the springs in these movements. If you try and lift that circle shape which is the click, you will distort it and it will not wind up. Can you un pin the balance and take it out and show me please. It looks like the h/spring is damaged, if that is it is you might be able to repair in, oil the movement and see how it goes.

18 minutes ago, Lenj said:

Hi you need to take the hand off first to get the face off, have you got a hand puller??

I use levers, but I wasn't sure if that one just pulled off.

The face seems to be fixed to the backplate, somewhere near the twelve o'clock area.

54 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Don't remove that hand. That is the alarm hand, it is fixed to the alarm wheel behind the dial. The movement should come away by ether pins or screws or both. Depending on your skills that h/spring can be sorted.

Thanks. That's what I thought about the alarm hand. I just can't see how the face is fitted to the backplate. I can't see any screws or pins. 

The dial is free all the way round, except for a point in the twelve o'clock position, midway between the centre and the edge of the face. Could it just be double sided tape or something? although, it doesn't feel like it.

I can sort the spring out, no problem. I've found a picture of how it should look.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Yes it would.

Do you think I can separate the two parts without stripping the top half first?

If I run the springs down, how would I go about removing them and re-installing after cleaning?

Edited by ftwizard

I do not recommend this. You could undo the plates by a little and remove the pallets. Make sure to add oil to all parts that will run. Be very careful not to bend any pivots (its soft metal) the train will run down, you can put a finger on the train to ease the run down. When it is down you can take it apart and clean. You should be able to remove both springs from there arbors. Take note of how and where the springs are attached, they should be open loop and attached to the pillars. When putting it back together make sure, the springs are attached to their arbors. So the movement is together and tightened down, wind the springs up and as you go you should be able to attach the open part of the spring over their proper pillars.

• Thanks 1

Pick a spot where to start, the higest part,

Take note of how and where the springs are attached, they should be open loop and attached to the pillars. When putting it back together make sure, the springs are attached to their arbors. So the movement is together and tightened down, wind the springs up and as you go you should be able to attach the open part of the spring over their proper pillars.

You will just have move the parts into their holes. You can screw down the nuts a little by little, to hold things in place, not to tight or you could damage pivots.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for everyone's help, especially oldhippy. I managed to get it all back together again. Manipulated the balance spring back into some kind of spring shape, and it's running very nice now.

Most important, I learnt a lot for the next one.

Edited by ftwizard
  • Like 2