Hello From North Carolina - Noob

cagouillard

Hello all - 

What started my watch repair addiction?  For Christmas, my spouse had the band replaced and new battery put into my 1989 Seiko Flightmaster E6B Chrono.   I don't have the heart to tell her that since I now have presbyopia (old eyes that wont focus)  I can't read the darn thing.  

I was frustrated and I didn't want to remind her that 10 years earlier we had put some money into it after it had sort of 'fallen apart' in that the dial had shifted etc. The Chrono resets to 27 minutes and 27 seconds elapsed.  HOWEVER, it has been running since Christmas and is keeping time - neither slow nor fast.

So this got me to thinking - I wore this watch as a pilot during the first go round with Saddam in 1990. It has sentimental value - in my research i have found your site - found out that it is Model 7T34-6A09. That Seiko is no longer making them and on an on.

I was speaking to a co-worker who upon hearing about my situation asked what i wanted in a watch.  I said well, I really like the idea of the 'Automatic' movements that you need no batteries - they seem really cool to me.  Next thing I know, I am the proud owner of an Orient World Time. 

So I am here to find a way to repair the Chronometer, replace the Chrystal and band if there is a way to do so.  I would like to do it myself as I think it good to have the skill to do so. (Though, I may not possess it!)  Finally I just read 'Longitude' by Sobel.  I am now hooked on how watches work and am fascinated by the engineering that went into  such a device.  

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,  there are some very knowledgeable people on here who should have the answers to most problems.  Like you I find watches fascinating,  just making parts so small is miracle enough.  Regarding longitude that was a real tough nut to crack, being able to say where you are when you are somewhere on the Pacific ocean with no reference points is indeed a miracle.

I don't have any answers re. your Seiko, but I'm sure someone will.

Roger