400 day clock after service vids

clockboy

For those who have not serviced /repaired a 400 day clock I thought I would show (by vids) how absolutely everything must be correct for a successful outcome. The first vid is after cleaning and re-assembly using the original suspension spring. At first all looks OK but It was running slow and I just run out of adjustment. When I measured the original spring it’s thickness was 0.0019” the correct thickness (using my 400 day ref: book) should be 0.0023”. When the new spring was fitted it ran with a better rotation but it then suffered with what is called “flutter” This is where the escape runs away uncontrollably for a brief period. To remedy this the folk that operates the escape was moved up the suspension spring a fraction.Also there was a slight wobble when the pendulum rotated this was traced to the lower suspension block not being absolutely centred and on the skew ( very marginally) if anything now it has to much rotation but it is keeping excellent time.

Before correct spring fitted

IMG_2575 (1).mov

After the correct spring is fitted (with tweeks)

Vid 11.mov

• Like 1

Well done with that. That is good points for those that want to undertake one of these clocks for repair. Everything has to be perfect Did you not check to see what the position the pallet forks should have been at in the bible of these clocks?. I found it good practise too always fit a new s/s, a slight kink or mark on the old one would send the pendulum out of line.