Timex 1983 Military Camper - Before & After

JerseyMo

I have been focusing on the Timex Campers the last few weeks and came across that looked like it spent time under ground.

Here is the high level tasks performed:

• Soak strap in Oxy-Clean
  • Clean case
  • Clean and buff crystal
  • Service movement
  • replace crown
  • grease stem tube

Before and after -

DSC08316.JPG

DSC08317.JPG

DSC08321.JPG

DSC08322.JPG

• Like 7

The total process spans maybe 2 - 3 days which includes the actual break down, restoring and putting it all back together.  This is maybe a total of 45 - 60 minutes.  Why I say 2 - 3 days is to include the overnight soaking of the band and the observation the time keeping, plus any final adjustments.   I've noticed the crown is a bit off center and will have a look if the stem is slightly bent or if the replacement crown itself is the issue.  

Edited by JerseyMo
typo

Very nice!

Have a question for you: that deep black colour on the case, is that just on the surface as anodizing or plating or is that somehow the metal in itself?

If it’s just on the surface I would imagine it would have shown more wear and bright metal shining through?

/bsoderling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, bsoderling said:

Very nice!

Have a question for you: that deep black colour on the case, is that just on the surface as anodizing or plating or is that somehow the metal in itself?

If it’s just on the surface I would imagine it would have shown more wear and bright metal shining through?

/bsoderling

The case is  a deep green and made of plastic.

Aaahhh... that explains it. For this type of military style watch that makes a lot of sense.

Think I will have to do some ebay hunting for myself here. Is the Timex movement reasonably serviceable on this model?

Haven’t worked on any Timex and hear they can be ”difficult”.

1 hour ago, bsoderling said:

Think I will have to do some ebay hunting for myself here. Is the Timex movement reasonably serviceable on this model?
Haven’t worked on any Timex and hear they can be ”difficult”.

The movement in the Camper is a # 116 which was assembled in Twain.  It can certainly be serviced much to the contrary that many state.  There is no typical need for a full tear down.  Just follow the Timex manual and you'll be fine.  Or you can find an excellent alternate method described on wikibooks under budget watch collecting.  The movement show is a #22 but the same can be done with all mechanical Timex. of the 1950's - 1990's

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Watch_Collecting/Timex_movement_clean_and_lube

• 8 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, George19 said:

Glad to see this one here, I have what appears to be the same watch. Just starting out, it looks like one to start one. Let you know how mine goes.

IMG_20190318_104949.jpg.d9779f7bf25458899f122e99681346d6.jpg

The camper is very popular and still made today, although with quartz inside. My personal theory is that the model was the result of the various mil-spec projects Timex had.  These projects also may account for the Fun timer series of the late 1960's due to the use of the same front loading plastic cases.  And also the introduction of the black 24 hour dial "sprite".

Notice the camper on the left and the prototype mil-spec on the right.  If you open on of the fun timers they have the very same dimensions and inner design.

DSC00522.JPG

DSC00523.JPG

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00525.JPG

49 minutes ago, George19 said:

That's interesting info, thanks for sharing those. When I get the time I'm going to open mine up. It looks straight forward, but any suggestions for a beginner at this? Thanks again.

to begin you will need a crystal lift or crystal wrench because of the one piece case.  Once the crystal is lifted, there will be a black metal ring.  This just slips out.  At the 3 position will be slot where you need to apply pressure to the stem so the crown can be in-screwed.

Timex instructions for this procedure is to wedge a flat screw drive tip against the flat section of the stem.  I use a pair of needle nose that I ground down to fit into the slot.  This works much easier.  Than the fun begins!

What is the issue with the watch?

It has been sitting in the dresser for years not being used. Now when I wind it up fully it will not run until I tap the case with a fingernail flip. Guessing it needs at least some lubrication?

It's going to be a while before I even get to it. And it's nice to know where to go if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info!

On 3/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, George19 said:

It has been sitting in the dresser for years not being used. Now when I wind it up fully it will not run until I tap the case with a fingernail flip. Guessing it needs at least some lubrication?

It's going to be a while before I even get to it. And it's nice to know where to go if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info!

yes, I would first just try to freshen up the pivots with some lube.  That includes the v-conic caps as well.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello, this is really nice work. I'm a bit late to this posting but I also have one of these watches that had the crown snap off from the stem. Is there a specific type of crown/stem/gasket combo that would be an adequate replacement for the original? Or is more of a trial and error process?

On 6/13/2019 at 2:53 PM, bumwad said:

Hello, this is really nice work. I'm a bit late to this posting but I also have one of these watches that had the crown snap off from the stem. Is there a specific type of crown/stem/gasket combo that would be an adequate replacement for the original? Or is more of a trial and error process?

yes, it requires a stem crown just for this model.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, richardv said:

any idea on the part number for the stem and crown?

yes but, having those numbers will only help if you have a supply of NOS Timex parts.  I should have them and can list them under by eBay seller of pack43. lmk.

• 7 months later...