Measuring watch Hands

You can do a quick search of the internet, you should use the following site to find out movement specs,

www.ranfft.de

from this site I see that the hands are hour 1.50, minute 0.90, and seconds hand 0.21

A close match to Hands of the style you need are available from various sites, www.cousinsuk.com stock this style but the centre seconds hand with square luminous tip may be a problem to find.

Thanks, I found the www.ranfft.de site but it listed the 25 jewels and not 17 jewels of the movement so I was not sure if this was the right hands size. Should I buy and take the chance?
Yes IMHO ... Different variations of a same movement often wear the same hands.
BTW what happened to the dial ?
It looks like somebody stripped all the lumed parts off [emoji39]

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

My friend tried to get the parts and lost the energy, so I took it. I am not watch expert but I thought if I can get some advice from the community I might be able to atleast get hands and see where we go from there.

Do you know if these lumed parts can be fixed? I am sure it will need a service too after the hands are added..

You measure from the centre of the dial outwards to about 2 thirds over the numbers, make sure you leave enough room for the hands to go round, you do not want them catching on the inside of the glass.  Then you pick a style and colour that is suitable to the dial and case. If that is the case you want chrome or silver looking.

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for the help. The picture, video of the movement outside of the case with new hands installed.

I ordered the hands day before your comment, it seems I ordered a little longer based on your comment. I will check the size again and get shorter ones. Next step is to add back to the case and see if it still works.

IMG_1804.gif

IMG_1803.MOV

• Like 1

10 hours ago, measuretwice said:

I saw that too and notice the OP's shown above also has Wimding.  Is this a "thing"?

LE JOUR being a swiss company possibily, it's possible that the guys that designed the dial where french speaking.

I'm French and I COULD write wiMding instead of wiNding ... an error that a native English speaker wouldn't do.

Look at the the "spatiale" and the "grands fonds" ... the dials are "french" and there is no misspelling.

zrc-spatiale-300-m-brevete-sgdg-ref-02059-vers-1968.thumb.jpg.44b4818de3b89f583fbd25e927dd4dc9.jpg

zrc_116.jpg.8564a7753d7050e83524ebe0a43fe776.jpg

Edited by manodeoro

On 24/06/2018 at 1:46 AM, Maanu said:

Hi, Thanks for the help. The picture, video of the movement outside of the case with new hands installed.

I ordered the hands day before your comment, it seems I ordered a little longer based on your comment. I will check the size again and get shorter ones. Next step is to add back to the case and see if it still works.

IMG_1804.gif

IMG_1803.MOV

The hour and minute hands are not only too long but :

- they are too thin

- the are not squared at the end

- they lack the "contrepoids" (I'm not 100% certain about the english term but I would write "counterwieght")

Look at that pic

IMG_2479_grande.jpg.162a35c873e5567b7ffb391a8a6dac33.jpg

The hour hand and minute hand should be the same width, the couterwieght are about the same length.

The only difference is the length of the part that hold the lume.

I wish you good luck in your research for the right hands, because you'll need some.

Here's a pic of a ZIM watch with hands that are more similar to the hands you need (you still can rework them a little and paint them black).

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.d4788d586c85cc3b698f6e923d7a8066.jpg

ZIM 2602 hands are : Hour 1,60 - Minute 0,88

PUW 1463 hands are : Hour 1,50 - Minute 0,90

So if those hands are OK about the length (just ask the seller) you can close a little the Hour hand tube and open a little the Minute hand tube.

The seller is topdom789 and he's a really nice guy (old horologist from Bulgaria).

I bought 2 Raketa movements from him last year ... I paid USD10 only for the 2 movements and he serviced them before shipping.

If those hands are too short or too long you can tell him what you need and he'll search if he can find hands that match your needs.

Hi, Thanks for the help. I am new to this forum, how do I find the seller "topdom789"?

Search topdom789 on eBay.
Petar is a nice guy and always ready to help if he can.
Hope this help and have a nice day

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

There are hand gauges for measuring the pipe, The Bergeon one is sold by cousinsuk around the £40 mark. or alterativly visit the esslinger site in the USA they have very good tutorials one specificaly for measuring watch hands  and many more instructional files as well.