Hello Fellow Horologists

Charlie

My name is Charles, and I am privileged to be part of this fun clan of watch repair fans. I have been servicing watches as a hobby on and off now since the 1990's. I will be in the near future, making it my full time new career. I look forward to learning and progressing, especially in the company of Mark Lovick, a dedicated professional who is giving his great **BLEEP**nal of knowledge to those of us with the same passion. How else better to learn other than attending a full time school? I have posted a new topic on the watch repair section. Cheers to all.

post-351-0-91491900-1412555284_thumb.jpg

Hi Charlie, welcome to THE forum! I saw your other post but lacking the experience on that particular issue I decided to let others advise. In any case, this is a nice place, with nice and very helpful people from all over, you will enjoy!

Hello Charles and welcome.

The more we get in the greater the knowledgebase and I am sure you will enjoy the cameraderie and sharing of knowledge.  I am a hobbyist tinkerer and have been helped on more than a few occasions by different members. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Charlie, and a warm welcome from Scotland. I hope you enjoy being part of this community, as the guys have already said it's a great forum!

Oops, I'm getting senile, I forgot I've already welcomed you.

Edited by Geo

It's the best forum I have seen on the net. Heaven knows we are all faced with technical questions at times, and that's really where this forum shines. Now, let's see if I get Mark to chime in about my mainspring question. I am very curious as to what his response will be!

Well thank-you Lawson. I don't have too many serviced watches to my credit actually, but I continue to have a passion for watchmaking and repair that is ceaseless. My good friend Cary Farnsworth recently received his 1930's watch from me servicing it and said that "it keeps perfect time" That is music to my ears and so inspiring, especially when it was in sad running shape when he gave it to me.

Hi Charles,

It seems you are preparing for the Swatch course. There is one near me in Miami. Can you tell me more of what is required and/or what we are expected to do to get in? I'm planning to take this one too but they only admit 8 students.

Yeah, the one here is a WOSTEP school and they ask for 3K. I believe there is an entrance exam too but I've been reading up and there is a lot of paperwork to present that prove you can survive the 2 years without work! I'm really thinking about starting it thou...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

I am so glad I am just dabbling in horology and am not faced with the choices you have to make. 

I suppose it is investing in your future, a bit like a college fee but that seems like a lot of cash.  I reckon you would also have to research a potential future business and do an income and outgoings strategy to make sure that you can expect a living income after paying all business costs.  These days there might also be quite a lot of repairs/battery changes on quartz stuff if it was watch repairs.  I also expect that if it takes about 6-9 months to actually make a top of the range watch from scratch inclusive of case and bezel etc. being an actual watchmaker is problematic.

It would also, however, be quite something to have the training and talent to sit back and look at a watch you have actually made from scratch - a feeling I will never know !

Sometimes it is good to be retired.

Cheers,  Vic

Edited by Vich