Seiko 4110-9007

Hi - I have recently received a couple of my grandfather's old watches. The only one that my local watch repairer doesn't think is fixable is a Seiko 4110-9007 (about 1973, I believe). The repairer has told me that the circuit board is at fault - but the rest of the watch is in workable condition.

If anybody is able to give me any information about these circuit boards, or whether they are remotely possible of being fixed (or replaced with an alternative - as Seiko Australia can give me absolutely no information), I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance
Richard

5 minutes ago, jdm said:

Isn't possible to get discontinues parts. At best you can find a watch with a donor movement or a new quartz module that fits.

Thanks for the quick reply JDM - would the donor movement / quartz module need to be from an identical watch? Or is the circuit itself likely to be repairable by a electrics repairer?

Sorry - I really haven't got a clue about watches - I'm just very motivated to get this watch working if possible!

2 minutes ago, moldy said:

If anyone on here has a watch that might be suitable - and you might be willing to let it go - please let me know!

You can also look on Y! Japan, but may cost you more due to the need to use a buying agent.

Possibly barking up the wrong tree - but I have stumbled across the following website (http://stsupplyonline.com/catalog/circuits-c-420_798_915.html?page=2&sort=2a), which lists Part 4000 587 - which is also listed in a Seiko Quartz Cal.4110A Parts List pfd I've found (here: http://guides.mccawcompany.com/seiko/seiko-4110a.html).

Seems to be the part number for the "circuit block with crystal oscillator & trimmer condenser".

Surely no chance this is selling NOS after this long?

21 minutes ago, moldy said:

Surely no chance this is selling NOS after this long?

Listed price is $42.50. You need to call them, they are not the easier material house for an individual to buy a single part with oversea shipping.

Also, if you get your repair person to measure hands size you could use a new SII (Seiko) VX12E. These cost only $10 or so and give a sure result compared to replace parts on an old mov.t which, in the end, may not run.

Keep an eye on eBay, parts come up including nos parts regularly. Although some parts I’ve had a search programmed for a year so you may need to be patient! As already said, the first four digits are the movement and the second four the case and style so you only need search the first four.
Anyway, here is an extract from the 4110 movement parts list that hopefully shows the bits you want.
6888db284e11475695a38829cdc67d28.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, jdm said:

Listed price is $42.50. You need to call them, they are not the easier material house for an individual to buy a single part with oversea shipping.

Thanks JDM - I'll get in touch with them. If the deal is better for Americans, I should be able to use a freight forwarding service 

I'll also keep that new movement up my sleeve. I'm in two minds about that. Certainly sound like a cheaper and more reliable option though. 

The local guy reckons that the rest of the interior looks good, just that circuit board gone. So there seems to be some nostalgic tugging at me to try and preserve it (although, I realised this is not a particularly special watch - just special to me).

9 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Check with a guy that has VTA in Australia. If i understand correct you are from AU also? He is a great guy and could maybe help you out with parts. http://www.vintagetimeaustralia.com/VTA/watch-service/

Cheers Rogart63 - yep, I'm an Aussie. Down in chilly Hobart! I'll also reach out to VTA and see what he reckons.

7 hours ago, Pip said:

Anyway, here is an extract from the 4110 movement parts list that hopefully shows the bits you want.

Thanks Pip - if I have no luck with the other options, I'll head to eBay!

• Like 1

Thanks Pip - if I have no luck with the other options, I'll head to eBay!

If you’re in Hobart there’s a good guy I know there called Tristan. Not a repairer but very knowledgeable on Japanese and has brought many a quartz back from the dead. Drop me a pm if you’re interested and I’ll see if I can get you in touch with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, jdm said:

Also, if you get your repair person to measure hands size you could use a new SII (Seiko) VX12E. These cost only $10 or so and give a sure result compared to replace parts on an old mov.t which, in the end, may not run.

Hey JDM - I just did a quick search on these movements out of curiosity. They seem to all have a date function. My watch is identical to the one in the picture attached (no date etc - just hour and minute hands). Is SII VX12E the right replacement for this?

4B2A6784-02DB-47CE-B1ED-3419F2A5BADD.jpeg

1 hour ago, moldy said:

Hey JDM - I just did a quick search on these movements out of curiosity. They seem to all have a date function. My watch is identical to the one in the picture attached (no date etc - just hour and minute hands). Is SII VX12E the right replacement for this?

Seiko doesn't manufacture a 8-3/4‴  2 hands only. Even the original 4110 had seconds. You could also use a VJ14 or VJ19. Date ring would not be visibile or can be removed.
What has to be checked is hands arbor size and heigth.