Viceroy Quartz - stuck button

p2n

I don't normally do quartz but when I showed my father a watch I'd done he dug this old Viceroy out of a drawer and asked if I could look at it, "Got sentimental value that" he said.

Oh well, it's full of gum, got a flat battery and a stuck button. I've blasted it in the U/S and the water was black when done lol.

I've not done a quartz watch button - how do I get this out and back? It looks to be a minute c-clip. If I push it off will I ever get it back on again or do I need a special tool?

P6160006.thumb.JPG.c0a249f1b7f10113a3e6c1e059d1f212.JPG

P6160184.thumb.JPG.948668dfc8426dae5679a1dddd92f452.JPGP6160182.thumb.JPG.b29c5e42c87b37dabc73cbc56615d99a.JPG

You don't need any special tool . Put some Rodico in the bottom under the clips. then use 2 screwdrivers to press the clips of. That is the easy part. Clean the rod and maybe put a new gasket in. Harder to put back . i use a sturdy tweezer to press it back. But happens once in a while in flies away into space.  i have seen special tools that looks like a screwdriver with a slot in the middle . Much like a springbar tool.  To press the c- clip back into place. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Proper tools should do the trick. That is the reason they are made.

While true I think a bit of pragmatism is needed. If I bought the correct tool for every job I did (watches or otherwise) then

1. I would need a warehouse to keep them all
  2. I would need another mortgage to pay for them all

Yes quite right. I suppose it depends if you are a hobbyist or repairing and making a living. On the other hand, if you get quite a few with this problem it would make it easier for you. It might save you pulling your hair out. :D

• 3 weeks later...