Movement Serviced 2836-2 Runs perfect on Final Test Machine, but

Normally it is a positional error. Did you test the watch in all positions. Some wear a watch crown up some wear dial down some remove the watch at night etc etc. I have found the biggest culprit is the balance end shake is to great. If so and if you have the correct equipment you can adjust the lower jewel setting with fractions of a mm making a huge difference. Side shake is another head ache altogether. 

• Like 2

Yes CB, on the timegrapher, is all six positions, the movement is running and been regulated and is well within COSC, and its this which is confusing.  I will wear the watch for a few days once I resize the bracelet.  Its a head scratcher for sure.

5 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

Checked everything, nothing amiss, only issues are when worn.  Its a very strange issue for sure.

You need to verify first in person. There is a say, no head bandage before breaking it.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:20 AM, SSTEEL said:

Yes CB, on the timegrapher, is all six positions, the movement is running and been regulated and is well within COSC, and its this which is confusing.  I will wear the watch for a few days once I resize the bracelet.  Its a head scratcher for sure.

Check the end shake on the balance, very important. It must be perceptible to ensure that the balance is totally free. A touch of a good quality lubricant on the jewel holes and end stones is essential with regard to the balance.   Check the guard pin as well for correct length and operation. the Timegrapher should show any discrepancies up though. This sounds a little bit of a poser !!. I am probably teaching you to suck eggs !!.  Is the amplitude constant?  oldhippy gave me a tip not to oil the pallet arbors on an Everite watch and this improved the Bal amplitude from 140-190 to a steady 220deg !. Check the clearance on the pallet arbors  to be sure the pallet is quite Free. It`s rotational moment is so little that oil is not neccessary and was causing drag in my case. Hope this helps, Mike.

19 minutes ago, ecodec said:

This sounds a little bit of a poser !!. I am probably teaching you to suck eggs !!

Mike, indeed SSTEEL is a professional watch repairer, check his previous postings. The good advice you gave applies when the timegrapher data is unsatisfying, but here we're discussing a different, and still unproven issue.

There are two common problems that can cause this phenomenon of poor timekeeping.  What does the customer use to compare the watch to?  Specifically how does the customer know the watch is fast or slow. Sometimes customers will look at a variety of time sources none of which are on time and or use time sources that are less accurate than the watch.

Then this is an automatic the problem with automatics are they need movement to stay wound up. Not all customers are active enough to keep their watch wound up. As people get older they're not necessarily as active as they once were or the lifestyle changes variety of reasons they keep automatic watches from getting enough movement to stay wound up.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

There are two common problems that can cause this phenomenon of poor timekeeping.  What does the customer use to compare the watch to?  Specifically how does the customer know the watch is fast or slow. Sometimes customers will look at a variety of time sources none of which are on time and or use time sources that are less accurate than the watch.

Then this is an automatic the problem with automatics are they need movement to stay wound up. Not all customers are active enough to keep their watch wound up. As people get older they're not necessarily as active as they once were or the lifestyle changes variety of reasons they keep automatic watches from getting enough movement to stay wound up.

I agree to a certain extent but I am under the impression this is a large error. Watches run at different rates depending on their position but with a healthy watch the differences over 24hrs will be seconds not minutes. SSTEEL is going to have to wear the watch for a few days to see the true error.

10 hours ago, jdm said:

Mike, indeed SSTEEL is a professional watch repairer, check his previous postings. The good advice you gave applies when the timegrapher data is unsatisfying, but here we're discussing a different, and still unproven issue.

Indeed jdm. 

I will be wearing the watch over the next few days, so will report my findings.  I wear a Rolex Submariner as my daily watch, and it auto winds perfectly with my day to day activity working, and whatnot, so I will at least know if the issue is related to the owner not being active enough.  I have come across a few customers who work at a desk, and they are not active enough to auto wind their watch movements.  On more than one occasion, I have had to instruct the owner how to manually wind their watch movement, quite surprising, some customers were not even aware they could manually wind their watch. :blink:

just a quick note to your last post SSTEEL, i have just serviced a job lot of watches for a family friend,one was her childhood watch, she's 48 and didn't know it was a manual/mechanical watch and i had to tell her how to wind it etc, couldn't believe I had to explain that point.