Mattaphysics

Older Vostoks

Question

Got these older Vostoks yesterday. All not running but had easy problems to fix, luckily for 4 out of 9. One Amphidia and the rest Komandirskies. I love them, they're pretty reliable thus far.

I've been having a problem keeping the seconds hand in on a couple. Any tips? Is there a special way to make them stay?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

10 answers to this question

They should keep you busy for a while.
Oh they are indeed. I'm still on the hunt for an anniversary clock too but I'm doing more reading before i start to tackle that.

I'm guessing your movements are the same as my Amphibia, in which the seconds pinion is held in place by a weak cantilever spring.  Pressing the seconds hand in place simply pushes the shaft down against the spring so that the seconds hand doesn't engage properly on the shaft.  You need to brace the seconds pinion from the back to prevent it moving when you attach the seconds hand.  I just use my finger to brace the pinion but I daresay there are other more proper ways to do it.

Kayman is exactly right. Here is a photo of what we mean. The brass spring has, as you can see, a round-shaped end which has to be supported. I put a piece of rod in my mini bench vice and supported it on that.

14A.JPG

I'm guessing your movements are the same as my Amphibia, in which the seconds pinion is held in place by a weak cantilever spring.  Pressing the seconds hand in place simply pushes the shaft down against the spring so that the seconds hand doesn't engage properly on the shaft.  You need to brace the seconds pinion from the back to prevent it moving when you attach the seconds hand.  I just use my finger to brace the pinion but I daresay there are other more proper ways to do it.
Yeah i thought that would hold it but i guess not. Many thanks for the tip. Also i seem to have problems with the balance wheel stopping. The pivots look fine, is it just a jewel possibly broken?

I'm surprised at their robust and fairly accurate movement. Quite a bang for your buck workhorse. 3 are keeping excellent time and I'm having trouble regulating a few gaining 5mins/day at least. It's annoying there's no quick set date but i don't care. My morning isn't complete without winding these babies up. It's a successful thing when i wake up and they're (most of them anyway) are right around the exact time... It's a wonderful thing to fix these with your own two hands and see how reliable your work is.

Any guess on the date of manufacture on these? Obviously the Amphidia is pre-89 I'm guessing 70's/80's and the Komandirskies early 90's? I'm quite sure they're all 2414 movements too correct?