Hello Mark

First I would like to give my many thanks to Mark Lovick for sharing with us all the wonderful world of watch repairing. His talents at the bench are a great source of inspiration and motivation. I have learned great tips on technique. Books are good, but being at the bench with a professional such as Mark is a true joy. His care and dedication shows us all what can be accomplished through patience, determination, and the willingness to learn. Mark, your videos are unmatched anywhere, they are truly a gift. Thanks again.

And now on to my main topic. Whilst servicing an ETA 2824-2, I received the new mainspring. Upon examining the inner coil that has the slot for the hook on the arbor, it became obvious this last and important coil was incorrectly formed and way too large to fit the corresponding diameter of the mainspring arbor. The photos show it clearly. I have a question for Mark. Is it somewhat common? Is it just a matter of forming this coil to fit? I have not come across this before. I think that the mainspring should not have to be altered, as this may cause a stress point. I am tempted to return it for another. The mainspring is shown with the corresponding arbor to compare.

post-351-0-83338600-1412544276_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-37095300-1412544320_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-91868600-1412544349_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Charlie, you should like it here.

I've had the same issue but not with that movement. I resolved it by gently re-shaping the spring with a pair of round nosed pliers.

As I'm not a professional watchmaker, I too would like to here Marks take on the problem, and if it crops up often.

Thanks Geo, I'm liking it already. If I chose to reshape this spring, I might do it after installing it in the drum. At least that way the spring can only come out one end. I would also like Marks take on this, I hope he responds, if not, I might send him a p.m.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Whoever supplied that - it's unacceptable in my opinion. I would complain. The proper 2824 mainsprings will have a hook that fits the barrel arbor.

The Swiss GR reference for the mainspring is: GR3149X

But you can buy genuine ETA and the reference at Cousins is ETA28201801.

However if you do want to close it - you have quite a gap there, I have reduced them before but obviously the larger the gap the greater the risk of snapping the spring. I would say it's 50/50 - it could go either way. 

Good luck - and let us know how you get on :)

• Like 2

Well thank-you Mark for the kind reply and info. I will now be returning it, it came from Jules Borel, a reputable materials house I have been dealing with for years. I don't understand what you mean by the spring having a hook? This one has a slot like most I've seen.

I mean the rounded part that wraps around the barrel arbor. It has a hole near the end which hooks onto the arbor. If its way too big then it cannot possibly be designed for the 2824 as the 2824 has a very small diameter arbor.

The ones I have ordered in the past have had the correct size hook. I usually purchase by the GR reference.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

Exchange is definitely the way to go, I hadn't noticed that was an option. When I was supplied an incorrect spring for a Longine from a well known supplier, they weren't interested in a exchange because I had opened the sealed sachet and presumed you had the same problem.

Edited by Geo

Yes, they don't have problem with the package being opened because it's their fault for sending the wrong part. I returned it yesterday, but now have to wait two weeks for them to receive the right spring from Switzerland.

• 2 months later...

Well, I have waited two months now and no spring. I ordered one from Cousins and it arrived in roughly one week. The installation did not go well with the first one so I ordered another. This was my first automatic servicing and I found the mainspring a bit trickier to install than a hand wound mainspring. All is well now and my Fathers Gylcine is running to +2 seconds a day.