Orient 46943

Hello,

First I would like to say I just got into the hobby. I've watch both courses and followed along with the 6497 movement. After going through the disassembly and assembly a couple of times I've decided to work on an old Orient from my dad that has been out or order for several years.

After watching a few videos and extracting the movement,  I noticed how much smaller everything is compared to the one used in class. While I'm currently awaiting for Level 3 in order to properly troubleshoot a movement I believe my issue lies within the Escapement (oscillator or pallet fork).

It seems to me the top pivot axis of the pallet fork is broken of very used up as I'm having a hard time getting to behave properly as I have seen it work in the 6497 and seen in videos online. While placing the oscillator has been the most challenging portion, I've gotten it to beat but it beats way too fast and erratic.

I've included some photos of the pallet fork and video of it ticking when I get it properly setup as I believe the missing top pivot prevents the fork from swinging evenly from side to side and there is some sort of vertical play as I believe the top pivot stone does not properly captures the fork. (I'm currently uploading a video to share)

While I've had trouble finding a proper service sheet, I found a post to a very similar one but I do not know where I would be able to find a proper pallet fork if I were to need one.

One more thing I have to mention is that I have not proceeded with doing any cleaning as show in the lessons as I've been wanting to get comfortable with the movement and so I'm not sure if that could be an issue with the pivot stones not allowing it to sit properly although I don't think that's the case.

I appreciate if you could offer any feedback on the issue. I seen this movement seems to be pretty good, but I was considering maybe finding a replacement Miyota or another orient on ebay or something.

Thank you.

Thu Jun 14 18-13-36.jpg

Thu Jun 14 22-15-39.jpg

Thu Jun 14 22-18-01.jpg

Thu Jun 14 22-19-19.jpg

Thu Jun 14 22-21-27.jpg

Thu Jun 14 22-32-06.jpg

The top pivot of the pallets has broken. So you need new pallets. Many members on here use https://www.cousinsuk.com/

What you call the oscillator. That is known as the balance complete. That whole balance has to be clean, any little hair or oil will cause the hairspring coils to stick togather and the timkeeping will be erratic.  

• Like 1