7s26 ticking too quiet for timegrapher ?

dreja

Hello,

I'm wondering what is your experience with a 7s26 watch, when you put it on the timegrapher ? Does the ticking sound have enough volume, to be picked up by the microphone ?

I'm using a standard Chinese timegrapher.

When I put the whole watch on the microphone (for eg. my SKX007 or my colleagues seiko 5), the microphone has difficulties to pick up the ticking sound. If I put on only the movement without the case, there are no problems.

So I'm wondering where could be the problem:

The spacer between the case and the movement is plastic, which "isolates or weakens the sound flow" to the case ?

As the crown is located at 4 and the case is not symetric. The problem might occur because the edge of the case is not symetrically pressed to the microphone ?

I don't have issues with other "low volume ticking" watches or with bare movements without the case. So I hope my microphone works ok.

Thanks

Andrej

10 hours ago, dreja said:

When I put the whole watch on the microphone (for eg. my SKX007 or my colleagues seiko 5), the microphone has difficulties to pick up the ticking sound.

That is divers' watch with a thick case and caseback, so maybe that is the reason.

However I have no problem at all getting a good signal on a closed 7S26-0020 with either a 1000 or 1900 model timegrapher.

Hello,

thanks for the answers.

I've got a Timegrapher No. 1000, about 8 years old. It seems, that there are at least 2 versions of the No. 1000 model. The difference can be seen, when you switch on the display:

1st version shows the daily rate only on the top of the screen.

2nd version shows the daily rate also on the main screen in 4 different horizontal display sections.

I have also noticed that there are 2 types of microphone stands. One stands is more rectangular, while the other is more circular.

If you look at the back, there are two versions of Frequency calibration connector. One has a female BNC connector while the other has a usb square connector.

I've got the first version with a BNC connector and a rectangular microphone stand.

Unfortunatly my version has not the ability to adjust the microphone gain. The up/down buttons change only the contrast (both in capture mode and while stopped)...

Andrej

I agree it's probably just the thickness of the case although there may be a method to adjust the sensitivity.  I've done some Seiko 7002's that had pretty thick cases and found that taking the case back off during testing was an acceptable workaround.

8 hours ago, Pip said:

I think you can only adjust the mic gain on the 1900 version.

Yes, and on the 1000 model also as mentioned above.

However, using either model I have cheched literally hundreds of 7S26 watches with all types of cases and never had to adjust gain in order to pick a good signal.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Yes, and on the 1000 model also as mentioned above.

However, using either model I have cheched literally hundreds of 7S26 watches with all types of cases and never had to adjust gain in order to pick a good signal.

Oh, I'm probably wrong then as I thought you couldn't adjust gain on the 1000.

As an aside I've not had issued picking up any ticking and tocking from diver cased watches either so maybe it's a mic problem.

Thanks for all answers, I have found the issue :)

The problem was, that I have put some Tesa adhesive tape on the one microphone's plastic part. I did this to avoid scratching the watch - without the protection tape I could see (with loupe) the small marks on watch case.

Without the protection tape it works ok :) Instead of the tape I can put a piece of paper or even a paper sticker (as on the photo) between the watch and microphone.

IMG_20180616_084902.jpg

15 minutes ago, dreja said:

I did this to avoid scratching the watch - without the protection tape I could see (with loupe) the small marks on watch case.

Very good, you're treating a $200 watch same as $2,000 one. Which can be justified by the OCD attitude of some owners.