Teardown question

So this is my third teardown after watching Mark's lessons.  I'm not sure how this one comes apart.  I'm hoping with pictures someone has advice.  So in the first picture I remove the two screws that look like they are holding the movement to the case. Looking at the size of the dial and the case design in the back, I'm assuming I have to take the crystal off to remove the hands so I can take the movement out?  From my pictures, does that look correct?  At first i thought that lighter colored metal ring came out, but it does not seem to move, I think it is part of the case?

IMG_20180613_054617903_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180613_054021124.jpg

Does it have a bezel? Not sure from the pics....If yes, remove the bezel by placing something very thin between it and the watch case: bezel and crystal should come off as one. If no bezel remove the crystal and since you've removed the case screws, the movement should come right out when you turn case upside down.

J

Just guessing but I think the crystal come off and it drops out the front once the stem is pulled and the screws you removed are, removed. 

Dial should be fixed to the movement. If it’s not rattling now, held in only by the hands, my guess is it comes out the front. 

I'm just getting to read more comments after playing with it a little before work this morning.

I removed the crystal and took off the hands.  As suggested the movement is fixed to the dial.  However it's still not coming out the front.  I made the rookie mistake of trying to start taking it apart from the back.  Oops, I should have know better, that's why Mark gave me an order of doing things for taking the movement apart in the lessons.  Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.

The crown is missing and I didn't see a stem sticking out, so i assumed it was all missing.  I wonder if the stem was broken off with the crown and it's half in there still and holding it in place.  

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'll have to play with this a little more tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, kevinb95 said:

I'm just getting to read more comments after playing with it a little before work this morning.

I removed the crystal and took off the hands.  As suggested the movement is fixed to the dial.  However it's still not coming out the front.  I made the rookie mistake of trying to start taking it apart from the back.  Oops, I should have know better, that's why Mark gave me an order of doing things for taking the movement apart in the lessons.  Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.

The crown is missing and I didn't see a stem sticking out, so i assumed it was all missing.  I wonder if the stem was broken off with the crown and it's half in there still and holding it in place.  

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'll have to play with this a little more tomorrow morning.

Disassembling while in the case shouldn't damage anything. What I would have suggested is that you see if you can wiggle the movement out by gently lifting from the 9 o'clock side - opposite the stem - in case the stem is broken as you note. If it is broken in there it can present a bit of a challenge to remove. Now that you have begun disassembly, can you see the stem??? You may need to continue down this road. If you get sight of it, you may need to loosen the set lever and try and push the stem out by using an old oiler. You should be able to see the stem by looking into the crown opening and using a flashlight. 

I have run into another situation previously where the real reason I could not remove the movement is that someone had glued the dial to the main plate since the feet had broken. The glue spread and essentially bonded the movement to the case. Let's hope that's not your issue!

Keep us posted.

• Like 1