Giannifive

Question about fragility of hairspring

Question

Hi all.  I have a question about the fragility of hairsprings.  I’m completely new to watch repair, and have started by regulating my mechanical watches (Seiko 7S26 and Orient F6922 movements).  While adjusting the rate with a wooden dowel oriented parallel to the balance wheel, I have accidentally lightly grazed the hairspring.  It was enough pressure to stop the balance wheel, but there appear to be no negative consequences.  Both watches keep great time and have good positional accuracy.  And according to my timegrapher the beat error and amplitude were not affected.

So should I just chalk this up to good luck?  Or could there be lurking damage I’m not seeing?

9 answers to this question

Hairsprings are very fragile. When you are working with them or around you need to be very careful, one tiny slip and it can be unrepairable. From what you have said I think you have got off lightly as the watch is still going and keeping good time.

I think you got rather lucky! If the timegrapher is showing acceptable readings in all positions and visual inspection indicates all ok then I would leave it alone. From what you describe I would check that the spring is still in the flat - look from the side of the balance and see that the spring is not tilted in any way. 

I was not as lucky with my F6922, I was moving the balance cock while trying to reduce the beat error. However, the HS got bent badly when the balance cock moved suddenly. I am in the process of trying to reshape the HS, but it is quite bent. 

Does anyone know where (if) I can get a new Balance Assembly for the F6922? I am based in the UK. 

Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By marcoskaiser
      Dear all,
      I recently had the pleasure of finding a damaged hairspring needing care. My first! It’s an inexpensive orient watch, gaining 20 minutes a day. I am taking Mark’s fault finding course, and have other inexpensive hairsprings to practise with. I also got some vintage tools I’d love to use. Until now for me levellers were only the Oliver Cromwell people, but ebay never ceases to surprise...
      I could pass the first stages of correcting the coil, with two tweezers. But could not find a use for the vintage tools. Could you help me to figure it out? 
      Picture 1 is the bent hairspring 
      picture 2 and 3 the box of tas levellers
      picture 4 is the hairspring suffering under my tweezers now
      picture 5 shows the tip of the tools
      picture 6: from De Carle. Would this be the purpose of the levellers? The overcoil? 

• By canthus
      Is there a 'golden rule' relating to relocating a hairspring onto a balance staff with regards to getting zero beat error after it has been removed for attention.  I usually take pics or use marker pen but sometime forget!
    • By GeorgeC
      I received a lys Longines 5L for cleaning.  Upon opening the case, I saw some surprises under the balance bridge.
      I have outlined my steps on how I uncoil a tangled hairspring in hopes that others can benefit by this method.
      George Corder

IMG_0505.m4v
    • By Mac
      Hi all,
      I’m a new member and new to this ‘hobby’. This site seems to be where it’s happening.
      my very first attempt is with a BFG 866 which I have stripped cleaned and rebuilt. Not applied any oils or greases yet as I plan to do this a few times. However... I have noticed that the hairspring has come detached from the ‘cock’ plate? I cannot see nor find how this is reattached... is this broken?
      Any guidance is much appreciated. 
      Thanks, Marc 
    • By DouglasSkinner
      I need help with removing and then putting back in a hairspring that has a friction fit stud.  I know there is a special tool one can use for this purpose.  Does anyone have any pictures and know who might have made it?  Can anyone "walk me through" how to remove and replace a hairspring without using the tool?  Thanks!