Giannifive

Question about fragility of hairspring

Question

Hi all.  I have a question about the fragility of hairsprings.  I’m completely new to watch repair, and have started by regulating my mechanical watches (Seiko 7S26 and Orient F6922 movements).  While adjusting the rate with a wooden dowel oriented parallel to the balance wheel, I have accidentally lightly grazed the hairspring.  It was enough pressure to stop the balance wheel, but there appear to be no negative consequences.  Both watches keep great time and have good positional accuracy.  And according to my timegrapher the beat error and amplitude were not affected.

So should I just chalk this up to good luck?  Or could there be lurking damage I’m not seeing?

10 answers to this question

Hairsprings are very fragile. When you are working with them or around you need to be very careful, one tiny slip and it can be unrepairable. From what you have said I think you have got off lightly as the watch is still going and keeping good time.

I think you got rather lucky! If the timegrapher is showing acceptable readings in all positions and visual inspection indicates all ok then I would leave it alone. From what you describe I would check that the spring is still in the flat - look from the side of the balance and see that the spring is not tilted in any way. 

I was not as lucky with my F6922, I was moving the balance cock while trying to reduce the beat error. However, the HS got bent badly when the balance cock moved suddenly. I am in the process of trying to reshape the HS, but it is quite bent. 

Does anyone know where (if) I can get a new Balance Assembly for the F6922? I am based in the UK. 

Thanks

As far as I'm concerned the hairspring is the 'Achilles Heel' of the amateur watch repairer. I can manage most things with a varying degree of ability but the hairspring always seems to be a stumbling block for me anyway. I recently ruined a spring from a 2892.2 movement. Whilst removing the balance complete with bridge the spring caught on the teeth of one of the wheels. Spent hours trying to gently 'smooth' out the distortion. In the end gave up and went for a new one. One question I would like to ask is when ordering a 'Balance Complete' presumably it is the balance wheel with spring attached. On this particular movement the spring is attached to the bridge by a wedge shaped pin which appears to be glued on (see photo sorry about quality) What level  of ability is required to attach the spring to the bridge or should I go for balance spring and bridge which of course more expensive?

abcd.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By rduckwor
      I am correcting a deformed hairspring and need to set the curve for the regulator pins.  De Carle mentions using curve-forming tweezers, which I cannot yet find.  What are the alternate practices for forming this curved portion of the over curve?
      Thanks,

RMD
    • By Nost
      Hi again all,
      since there are some really knowledgeable people here I hope you can impart some wisdom regarding repairing a bent hair spring. after getting this old movement working again with the help of this group (new mainspring), I need a little more advice.
      after hooking this beaut up to  watch-a-scope it shows low amplitude and very erratic trace. I can see the hairspring is bent and need to start here in addressing the issue.
      What tools are needed (not willing to spend £50 on hairspring levers at the moment)? I have basic tools  (enough to service a movement), but what are the essentials for working on a hairspring? i.e for removing from a balance safely what tweezers types/sizes are recommended for correction etc.
      Also, is there an easy way to identify and obtain replacement hairsprings? I assume they are very interchangeable as it would not have been easy to make new hairsprings for every watch model.

• By tmilligan
      Question for those who work on Vintage Timex watches:
      I've restored several Timex pieces from the late '60s to the late '70s.  The technique I learned (from Internet posts and tutorials) say to simply loosen the dial-side balance pivot by unscrewing it 1/2 turn prior to cleaning the entire movement in an ultrasonic cleaner.  This method contradicts the official Timex service manuals, which state that the balance should be removed, cleaned separately and reinstalled.  Thus preventing the hairspring form being damaged in the ultrasonic cleaner.
      My experience is this: 
      Leaving the balance in place (slightly loosened) is much easier and will work on the standard movements used in the '70s (M24/25, M32/33, M104, etc.) Attempting the same method on movements from the '50s and '60s (M22, M29, etc) will result in a kinked hairspring that is damn near impossible to un-kink.  So my question is this:
      What do you experienced Timex restoration experts recommend?  Leave the balance/hairspring in the movement for cleaning, or take it out to soak in a separate jar?
      Is the potential for hairspring damage greater when removing/reinstalling the balance - in comparison to leaving it in place?
      I've messed up a couple of vintage movements that I really wish I hadn't.   I don't want to make those mistakes again.
      Thanks for any insights!
        -Todd

• By marcoskaiser
      Dear all,
      I recently had the pleasure of finding a damaged hairspring needing care. My first! It’s an inexpensive orient watch, gaining 20 minutes a day. I am taking Mark’s fault finding course, and have other inexpensive hairsprings to practise with. I also got some vintage tools I’d love to use. Until now for me levellers were only the Oliver Cromwell people, but ebay never ceases to surprise...
      I could pass the first stages of correcting the coil, with two tweezers. But could not find a use for the vintage tools. Could you help me to figure it out? 
      Picture 1 is the bent hairspring 
      picture 2 and 3 the box of tas levellers
      picture 4 is the hairspring suffering under my tweezers now
      picture 5 shows the tip of the tools
      picture 6: from De Carle. Would this be the purpose of the levellers? The overcoil? 

• By canthus
      Is there a 'golden rule' relating to relocating a hairspring onto a balance staff with regards to getting zero beat error after it has been removed for attention.  I usually take pics or use marker pen but sometime forget!