Everite watch

I was given two old watches to fix yesterday. An old Everite and a Longines. They have been in a drawer for many  years. I stripped the Everite,  and well serviced it but it does not run well. The Beat error is 600 micro seconds (0.6 mS) and the balance amplitude varies between 140 and 190 deg. The HS is fine. The lever flicks to the banking and the Draw seems to be OK. It is keeping time to about +2 mins/day face up and a smaller amount face down,  The best I can achieve.  It does not look very good on the timegrapher. Is this a case of general Bal/Esc wear. The end stones look OK. Under the microscope I can see pallet jewel  witness on the teeth of the ESC wheel.  It was purchased in the thirties and used for many years. I have boxed it up. Perhaps someone will comment. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Did you check the impulse jewel to see if it was chipped or loose? What type of oil did you use on the ecsapement. You know pallet pivots should not be oiled as it can and will cause drag.

Thank you for your help Oldhippy. Yes, the impulse jewel is firm. I used a tiny amount of 9010 oil on the escapement but not on the impulse jewel. I did however use a touch on the pallet pivots !!!! I will remove this today.  I do not feel safe without the tiniest touch of oil on most bearing services, a habit that I must get out of in some areas.  I can see where you are coming from with regard to the pallet pivots not being oiled, oil could be the cause of a weaker impulse to the balance,  I will let you know how I get on in due course. Many thanks for your constructive and expert help to an old Jobber !!. Best regards, Mike.

Hi oldhippy, I have just finished the Everite watch and your comments about oiling the pallet pivots were Spot On!. I cleaned them with Acetone, dried and then re-assembled the balance. The balance now has a steady 220 deg. Amplitude.  I have timed it to +30 Secs per day. It is much better now. Thank you so much for your correct diagnosis and perhaps 9010 is a little stickier than I thought. I have learnt something from your years of experience and am most grateful to you. Thinking about it there would no real need to oil the pallet bearings as the rotational moment is so small,  I realise this now that  you pointed it out.  Thanking you again,  Best regards, the old Jobber  Mike.

spot on !. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Thinking about it there would no real need to oil the pallet bearings as the rotational moment is so small. That is correct. Glad to be of  help.

Thank you again. I could hardly believe the oil on the pallet bearings could have that much effect. I will not oil them again. Mike.

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, ecodec said:

Thank you again. I could hardly believe the oil on the pallet bearings could have that much effect. I will not oil them again. Mike.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, ecodec said:

Yes it is hard to believe the retarding effect of oil on pallet pivots. Even worse is: if the watch( some movements, especially pin pallet)  isn,t worn for couple of months, oil can freeze the pivots from functioning.