Quartz services a "scam"

Hi guys,

I've just started working on watches as a hobby, I replace batteries for friends and family, but recently my friends lacoste watch (I know shame on him for buying a fashion watch!) Has started going through batteries very quickly, he wants to send it too a jewlers for a service and they have quoted £100. 

Had a look inside and  it's a miyota gl30 movement and they're reasonably cheap online so I said it'd be a lot cheaper for me too just put a whole new movement in. Isnt that what most others would do seems though they're about £8 off ebay?

Thanks 

Maybe he didn't want to do it and said a high price. Or he takes about the same for any quartz movement swap. Some movements are cheap other more expensive.  ETA cost about $30-40 or more. Takes about the same time to swap over the hands and such . If you can do it  and help a friend it's great. 

I wouldn't service a GL30 . I don't even think it's possible to take apart. 

On 6/10/2018 at 5:06 PM, rogart63 said:

Maybe he didn't want to do it and said a high price. Or he takes about the same for any quartz movement swap. Some movements are cheap other more expensive.  ETA cost about $30-40 or more. Takes about the same time to swap over the hands and such . If you can do it  and help a friend it's great. 

I wouldn't service a GL30 . I don't even think it's possible to take apart. 

sound advice