Hi guys, just started out as an amateur horology hobbyist.

My first question is; does anyone service quartz movements or do they just fit a new one in as most of them are cheap? 

Thanks 

Welcome to this friendly forum.

Does anyone service quartz movements the answer is yes? Some parts can be obsolete or the battery could have leaked and damaged the movement beyond repair. Then a new movement would be obtained. These days it all depends on availability

Ah ok thanks, do you know any good websites for spares? Most movements I'm working on are miyotas, calibre 2035/ gm10 which cost about £5 maximum. So I presume even if someone were to send it to the original manufacturer's they would simply replace the movement and call it a "service"

Many thanks.

Welcome Tinkerman, Yes, you can indeed clean and service them.  However Old Hippy is correct depending upon the economics and availability. The electronic`s are very simple but mainly not worth the trouble. The ETA etc: at the high end are however worth investigation. You will need some basic test equipment. For a start see the Witschi Quartz Watch Knowledge for Professionals !. I hope this is of help, Regards, Mike.

Hi Tinkerman, Quartz watches are usually replaced be cause they are usually very cheap and not really meant to be repaired.

Having said that some can be repaired. The problem is diagnosing the fault is not really easy without the proper electronic testing tools .

Good luck!

Anilv