Welcome to this friendly forum.

Does anyone service quartz movements the answer is yes? Some parts can be obsolete or the battery could have leaked and damaged the movement beyond repair. Then a new movement would be obtained. These days it all depends on availability

Ah ok thanks, do you know any good websites for spares? Most movements I'm working on are miyotas, calibre 2035/ gm10 which cost about £5 maximum. So I presume even if someone were to send it to the original manufacturer's they would simply replace the movement and call it a "service"

Many thanks.

Welcome Tinkerman, Yes, you can indeed clean and service them.  However Old Hippy is correct depending upon the economics and availability. The electronic`s are very simple but mainly not worth the trouble. The ETA etc: at the high end are however worth investigation. You will need some basic test equipment. For a start see the Witschi Quartz Watch Knowledge for Professionals !. I hope this is of help, Regards, Mike.

Hi Tinkerman, Quartz watches are usually replaced be cause they are usually very cheap and not really meant to be repaired.

Having said that some can be repaired. The problem is diagnosing the fault is not really easy without the proper electronic testing tools .

Good luck!

Anilv

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Anytime were working with American pocket watches it's nice to have the serial number especially when looking for parts. Then because this is not your normal 12 size it's extra thin looks like you're right it's a friction jewel setting.  So image extracted from a listing so we get the diameter and the thickness. Then the other minor problem with Illinois all the different part numbers to make for a confusing mess.
    • Greetings all. I just serviced a Girard-Perregaux automatic movement. It seems to run fine, but ends up stopping for reasons unknown. It seems like it may have something to do with the center-wheel contacting the top of the barrel. If there is clearance, it is by very little. It seems to stop most often once the automatic mechanism is replaced. I'm wondering if by tightening the automatic mechanism down to the train-bridge, it's dropping that center-wheel to barrel clearance to nothing, thereby stopping the movement. Does anyone have experience with this ETA 1256 auto movement that can offer any ideas as to what the issues might be? What do you think would cause the barrel to be so close to the underneath of the center-wheel? Any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.  Cheers.  
    • I have studied the data sheet at some length and there is nothing obvious to me. On the right of the frame drawing there are a couple of sections showing 2 screws - I assume ?  these are for fixing the movement and the strap might just fit these screws - but I would then expect two straps to be supplied to fit the two screws.
    • Bought an upright tool off eBay and there was one problem, no bottom alignment rod. So, found a piece of stock Brass and carved it up on my Lathe. This is the result. The nails on one of the hinges were out and the hinge was rusted in place. So I used some small pointy watchmakers screws and replaced the nails. I then oiled the hinges and worked them in nicely. Next, the box fabric was unglued on the Tom so I lifted up the fabric and spread a light layer of Elmer’s glue between the wood and the black cloth: and put 4 magic books on top for an hour. Next step was to blacken the box as there were chips of cloth missing and it just looked tattered. So I used Kiwi Color shoe shine and it worked like a charm. Now I needed to shine up the cloth on the inside of the box the same was...and used a paintbrush for the corners bu dipping it in the show shine. Then I needed to clean up the red velvet on the inside so I used a lint role: as well as tearing off a piece for the tight spots. I also needed to clean up some aging mold sobthe line roll with some help with a fine screwdriver worker great. I then shoe polished where the mold was. The last step was to polish the Uprighting Tool using Peek and a lot of elbow grease. Here is the before and afterAnd the Final.     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • Naptha is inexpensive, dissolves all manner of hydrocarbons, and dries quickly with little residue. Its quite harmful to use in enclosed spaces, so care must be used.  J