Minimalist work shop

This watchmaker has been plying his trade for many years, in this same spot, at the city market, in Gingoog, Mindanao. That is, since long before one would have thought to advertise batteries on ones window. How do you feel about your workshop now? I love mine :-) IMG_3338.thumb.JPG.56b9b136a38130b36c0b3b7d282857b1.JPG

• Like 1

I would not be so presumptious as to contradict anything a qualified and skilled watchmaker like yourself would point out, however if the guy has been repairing watches for years there he must be successful. Having a good idea of how those people operate I bet he fixes most watches.

Edited by ecodec

They used to be a familiar sight in Malaysia too.

A quick service will take about an hour. The guy will uncase the movement, remove the automatic and day/date mechanism (if present) and dunk the watch in a cleaning fluid .. usually zippo fluid. A quick dry helped by a puffer.  Then the balance jewels will be removed and oiled. The other pivots get a bit of oil and the watch is then re-assembled.

If you look at how watches are constructed, the jewel holes and balance jewels are usually accessible without taking the movement completely apart. Such simple servicing is not good and the watch would probably need looking at in a year or so but this ensures regular business for the watch repair guy!

Anilv

Yes, Malaysia,  KL, a guy there used Acetone on the balance and pallet. The rest was dunked in Naphtha. Then it was all blow dried and oiled as far as possible. It worked OK. There is nothing to compare to a good old strip, examination, clean and lubricate though. It lasts longer for a start. and is much more thorough. With a good quality watch I would not feel safe with much less !.

On 6/11/2018 at 5:03 PM, ecodec said:

Yes, Malaysia,  KL, a guy there used Acetone on the balance and pallet. The rest was dunked in Naphtha. Then it was all blow dried and oiled as far as possible. It worked OK. There is nothing to compare to a good old strip, examination, clean and lubricate though. It lasts longer for a start. and is much more thorough. With a good quality watch I would not feel safe with much less !.

If done properly a service will last 5 years. this way the customer will be back in a year.! Good business plan in terms of sustained business.