Oil cups

teegee

19 hours ago, m1ks said:

Are those pla? That's A heap of sanding and polishing if so. That's dedication.

I was just thinking about printing some in resin. Hmmm.

Yup, these are PLA.  From my research PLA appears to have really good resistance to solvents (water less so).  It might not be as good as incalite but I can't find any data on that.  Of all the filament types PLA actually looks to be the best bet.  I actually did a test and left some 3in1 oil sitting on the PLA for a week and it didn't soften (yes, this is not an industry recognized test). 

Resin might work, I've not looked up how well it handles solvents. I'm jealous you have that option because it's going to mean way less sanding.  But I don't mind that much, I enjoy making things shiny :).

16 hours ago, vinn3 said:

nothing wrong with glass.   oil might desolve the plastic and set up when in the watch. on the subject of hell; it might be diffacult to service watches by fire light. 

Very true.  Although I might have other things on my mind than servicing a watch in the case of hell.

1 hour ago, Dpastl said:

Yup, these are PLA.  From my research PLA appears to have really good resistance to solvents (water less so).  It might not be as good as incalite but I can't find any data on that.  Of all the filament types PLA actually looks to be the best bet.  I actually did a test and left some 3in1 oil sitting on the PLA for a week and it didn't soften (yes, this is not an industry recognized test). 

Resin might work, I've not looked up how well it handles solvents. I'm jealous you have that option because it's going to mean way less sanding.  But I don't mind that much, I enjoy making things shiny :).

Nylon filament might be a good option too, as it is pretty resistant to oils.

The layered nature of 3D prints might however cause the oil to wick in to the inter-layer spaces, so rapid flame polishing of the surfaces might be a good option.

Edited by AndyHull

9 hours ago, Dpastl said:

Definitely less sanding but I'm not at all sure how it will stand up against oil sitting in it.

I could use pla but having sanded it before I would rather not and can only bow to your incredible patience and resolve to get it that smooth and shiny.

My main concern with the resin is chipping it with the oiler as it's far more brittle than pla, I might try the same 3 in 1 test.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:40 AM, AndyHull said:

Nylon filament might be a good option too, as it is pretty resistant to oils.

The layered nature of 3D prints might however cause the oil to wick in to the inter-layer spaces, so rapid flame polishing of the surfaces might be a good option.

I love that idea, I'd never thought of it.

Although perhaps the slow wicking will force me to use fresh oil each time I service a watch :P.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, m1ks said:

Definitely less sanding but I'm not at all sure how it will stand up against oil sitting in it.

I could use pla but having sanded it before I would rather not and can only bow to your incredible patience and resolve to get it that smooth and shiny.

My main concern with the resin is chipping it with the oiler as it's far more brittle than pla, I might try the same 3 in 1 test.

Hope it turns out!