SSTEEL

Elma Master Watch Cleaning Machine Wiring Diagram/user Manual?

Hello Alvis, I recently did exactly the same as you and I finished up with a great machine fully refurbished.

Sadly I didn't take any photos but did follow SSTEEL's posts for guidance.

I did find the manual for the cleaner. I think it is the same one but there may be some differences. If you would like a copy I can send it in pdf. format to you. Also if you need any help then just contact me and I will try to do so.

Best wishes, Mike

Thank you Mike, I appreciate it. I will ask if I have any questions.

I have found a manual for this as well. Would be interesting to see if it is the same.

Most of the parts are cleaned now, so the next step is trying to get the motor to run. I really hope the bearings are okay, and that a clean and new grease will sort everything out.

I want to replace this. It is supposed to be on the underside of the heating element, I guess it is some sort of heat resistant material. Anyone got an idea of what it might be, or something I can use instead?

20171229_193322_copy.thumb.jpg.7271a402f2dbb6b13f47ad67839c7825.jpg

This looks like asbestos, could be dangerous by inhaling invisibly small fibers.
You can replace it with a silicone plate, or make it yourself from heat-resistant liquid silicone gasket for cars.

This looks like asbestos, could be dangerous by inhaling invisibly small fibers.
You can replace it with a silicone plate, or make it yourself from heat-resistant liquid silicone gasket for cars.
Oh cr@p..

I have been handling this without any precautions at all.

3 hours ago, Halvis said:

Oh cr@p..

I have been handling this without any precautions at all.

Zero worries. If it was dangerous for final users or inhabitants of these materials we would be all dead now. Just as with Radium, it's the continued (as in many years) exposure (inhalation) in manufacturing environments that kills.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Zero worries

You have to inform yourself well before you reassure people about asbestos.
Radium is absorbed into your bones and irradiate permanently the bone marrow so you run a lot of risk on leukemia.

Make sure you do not get these substances inside, and clean up all the radium dust well, the half-life is 1600 years!

8 minutes ago, Kraai said:

You have to inform yourself well before you reassure people about asbestos.
Radium is absorbed into your bones and irradiate permanently the bone marrow so you run a lot of risk on leukemia.

Make sure you do not get these substances inside, and clean up all the radium dust well, the half-life is 1600 years!

Make sure you understand the level of exposition needed for a real danger before spreading fear.

I can quote them here from scientific sources, but I hope that won't be necessary unless you insist.

BTW. In my country there have been hundreds or thousands of deaths already among extraction and processing workers, and still there are. It is not matter that anyone takes lightly, but information is key

asbestos  is not a problem in watchrepair, it is an inert mineral that can block air passage in the lungs.  radium watch dials are a  problem.  there are several good posts on handling radium dials in this forum.  vin

On 29/12/2017 at 10:28 PM, Kraai said:

I agree with Kraai, it does look like asbestos, and given the age of the machine it probably is. What's more it appears to be in a friable state (at the edges) which means it has the potential to release fibres, so I would advise cautious handling.

Best thing to do with it is to put it into a ziplock bag, wipe around the area where you have been handling it with a damp cloth and put the cloth into the ziplock bag as well. Don't vacuum as this risks any renegade fibres becoming airbourne. Then dispose of the bag in an appropriate manner.

It is unlikely that this single exposure to asbestos (if that is what it is) will have any untoward consequences, however if anyone's interested I have posted some thoughts on the matter here;

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/7779-asbestos/?tab=comments#comment-75815

As for a suitable replacement, try searching eBay (or other) for heat resistant mat or for silicone trivet. You can pick up a silicone trivet mat (intended for kitchen use) for very little, it's easy to cut to size, and from a very quick search it seems to be good for temperatures up to 240C. Funky colours too....

I agree with Kraai, it does look like asbestos, and given the age of the machine it probably is. What's more it appears to be in a friable state (at the edges) which means it has the potential to release fibres, so I would advise cautious handling.
Best thing to do with it is to put it into a ziplock bag, wipe around the area where you have been handling it with a damp cloth and put the cloth into the ziplock bag as well. Don't vacuum as this risks any renegade fibres becoming airbourne. Then dispose of the bag in an appropriate manner.
It is unlikely that this single exposure to asbestos (if that is what it is) will have any untoward consequences, however if anyone's interested I have posted some thoughts on the matter here;
https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/7779-asbestos/?tab=comments#comment-75815
As for a suitable replacement, try searching eBay (or other) for heat resistant mat or for silicone trivet. You can pick up a silicone trivet mat (intended for kitchen use) for very little, it's easy to cut to size, and from a very quick search it seems to be good for temperatures up to 240C. Funky colours too....
It has been months since I took the heater apart. I did it outdoors as the machine and especially the heater was unbelievably dirty. The asbestos plate was stuck to both the heating element and the heater base, so I probably released a lot of fibres taking them apart. The asbestos plate has been stored in a ziplock bag since, but I have taken it out a couple of times and handled it.

20 minutes ago, Halvis said:

It has been months since I took the heater apart. I did it outdoors as the machine and especially the heater was unbelievably dirty. The asbestos plate was stuck to both the heating element and the heater base, so I probably released a lot of fibres taking them apart. The asbestos plate has been stored in a ziplock bag since, but I have taken it out a couple of times and handled it.

Given that you took it apart out in the open then unless you had the wind blowing directly into your face the likelihood of inhaling any fibres is negligible. I certainly wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. And it may not even be asbestos anyway.

I realize its an old thread but deserves a bump, its pure gold! Thank u all for all informatin. I myself have a Elma super Elite and  ive been struggling with the cleaning result. I think i just expect too much out of it :)