Ebay flooded with Carriage clocks from China

oldhippy

I've sent him the same, now he has a idea its fake if he sells it he is technically committing a fraud.

His reply:

"hi now i did not now thank for letting me now thanks" (his spelling not mine)

Lets see if he takes it off sale

Edited by wls1971

He has removed it. 

These are his replies to me

Question Why have you described this clock as a very rare clock saying it is buy HUGUENIN A PARIS. When it is a Chinese fake.

Answer HI IT HAS IT ON IT THANKS

Question So you believe everything that has writing on it to be true. How bloody naive you are. So you don’t mind ripping people off.

Answer HOW DO YOU NOW IT IS FAKE I HAVE A VERY GOOD RATING THANKS

Question Simple. There has only ever been one made by Huguenin. Compare the genuine to the rubbish you are fobbing off. Look here.
http://www.my-time-machines.net/Huguenin.htm

Answer Ok mate I have taken it of

• Like 2

Well at least he's done the right thing now.

This one sold for £1,000 at auction, the trade has become wise to them, they are now fetching between £150 to £300 in the salerooms but occasionally they fetch much more from ill informed bidders.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/londonauctions/catalogue-id-high-r1-10056/lot-56f6e663-4af0-4519-b665-a7a100df2875

The going rate shipped new from china is $200.00 

• 7 months later...

What kind of watch?

https://meshok.net/item/241378721_%D0%A7%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%8B_%D0%9D%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5_%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5_%D1%81_%D0%B1%D0%BE%D0%B5%D0%BC_%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5_19%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BA_%D0%A0%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8C_%D0%A1_%D0%A0%D0%A3%D0%91%D0%9B%D0%AF

• 6 months later...

The easiest way in telling the difference between Chinese and French carriage clocks.

Chinese the strike work is always on the back plate, holes in the bell, screws poor and a very dark blue and mostly cheese head, very poor brass if you can call it brass. Platform escapements cheap looking and many look like they are made of poor soft metal. Many Chinese carriage clooks come with a centre seconds the hands are poor looking and not well finished. You don’t come across the French carriage with centre seconds but the do exist. Chinese carriage clocks that have painted panels are poor quality bad detail and most likely painted by children. The French are suburb with detail and the finish can be most delicate.

Here are a few photos of the Chinese rubbish and a few of the French good quality movements.

If you are thinking of buying such a clock let me know and I can advise you about it

Chinese.jpg

Chinese platform.jpg

French 1.jpg

French 2.jpg

French 3.jpg

Just now, oldhippy said:

The easiest way in telling the difference between Chinese and French carriage clocks.

Chinese the strike work is always on the back plate, holes in the bell, screws poor and a very dark blue and mostly cheese head, very poor brass if you can call it brass. Platform escapements cheap looking and many look like they are made of poor soft metal. Many Chinese carriage clooks come with a centre seconds the hands are poor looking and not well finished. You don’t come across the French carriage with centre seconds but the do exist. Chinese carriage clocks that have painted panels are poor quality bad detail and most likely painted by children. The French are suburb with detail and the finish can be most delicate.

Here are a few photos of the Chinese rubbish and a few of the French good quality movements.

If you are thinking of buying such a clock let me know and I can advise you about it

1 and 2 Chinese 3 4 5 French

Chinese.jpg

Chinese platform.jpg

French 1.jpg

French 2.jpg

French 3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A spectacular piece of crap.

Made in China

The seller says it’s a  Double Fusee, Victorian (1837-1900), Time Period Manufactured:        

1800-1900. Price £550.00

More like 10 years old. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115377271906?hash=item1add057462:g:ua4AAOSws0RieRMq

Edited by oldhippy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

A spectacular piece of crap.

Made in China

The seller says it’s a  Double Fusee, Victorian (1837-1900), Time Period Manufactured:        

1800-1900. Price £550.00

More like 10 years old. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115377271906?hash=item1add057462:g:ua4AAOSws0RieRMq

Did you make a reasonable offer to the seller?

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Here are some photos of the crap. 

KarlvonKoln, I bet you wished you had bought it after seeing how wonderful it is. 🤣

Hmmm.  Well, people tell me I should careful what I wish for.  Sage advice at times.  At least the case is kind of interesting.  Not what I'd go for, myself, but interesting.  And I'm not as knowledgeable with clocks as you are, OH, but that movement doesn't seem to jive with the description of what I thought I would see.  It sure doesn't look Victorian, like it has been aging that long.  Not to me anyway.  Sometimes I look at a thing for sale, and a little voice tells me what kind of beer I could buy with the same money, and I end up getting the beer instead.  This is the kind of clock where I would bring home beer.

I couldn't understand why there were so many of these clocks on eBay, until the other night when I attended a talk by Richard Price on French Carriage Clocks, where I found out just how much they are worth, he had about 20 on the table and none were under a grand, no wonder the Chinese got into faking them. And the shysters got into selling them on eBay, were the fools go to be parted with there money.

• 2 weeks later...

What did they use to make the moldings?

Did they just get another clock and press it into Plasticine and then pour plaster of Paris in that and paint it gold?

I've never seen such hideous brass casting on a clock before.

'Superb Antique Enamel Mantle Clock With Key Working'

I'm assuming the Enamel he is referring to is Humbrol. 🤣

• Like 1

Again the casting is total crap, done with a blunt stick and plasticine.  People will buy this crap as genuine and in a year or two put it back on the market at a higher price. If you know nothing about clocks in general it probably looks ok . I personaly dont buy clocks on the net I like to see them touch them and inspect them warts and all. Too much crap on the net as Old Hippy finds out (a practised eye).