Ebay flooded with Carriage clocks from China

oldhippy

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I have just received a message from the seller, he has offered it to me for £3.50. 

This was my reply. 

You must be joking. I have better things to do with my money then spend it on that pile of crap. 

Haha love the attitude oh, that sounds like me on a good day 👍. I had a good rant on Yema's site three days ago. Yema Superman nearly 400 quid, Yema Superman quartz movement  Ronda 515 less than a tenna. Unbelievable. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

On 5/26/2022 at 4:37 PM, oldhippy said:

I have just received a message from the seller, he has offered it to me for £3.50. 

This was my reply. 

You must be joking. I have better things to do with my money then spend it on that pile of crap. 

Even if he paid you to take it away, then you'd run the risk of being seen with it.  Nah, best to just leave it with him and let him worry about how to get rid of it.  Maybe someone will be nice and send him a shovel.

If you know how you can age things it is very popular in the antique trade with furniture. Not only is the style and type of movement a give away but also the painting on the paneling it is very crude, most likely painted by children. Not sure when this Chinese flooding started in horology but I think it is around 20 years. Why don't you drop the seller a line and tell him what a piece of crap he is trying to sell, offer him the lowest denomination  you have in Australia. 

From the description its more like a storage cupboard. What a horrid over the top eye sore. 

Sellers description.

Beautiful and unique piece of Napoleon style grandfather clock. It comes in two pieces, bottom part with three selves included and top part which are body and clock head together, both are having doors and storage with few shelves inside

2 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

Ok. It's not a carriage clock, but I have just come across this. I have to put it up here.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/royston-park/clocks/french-style-grandfather-clock/1292965916

Oh wow thats just wow. I think thay have left a bit of polished wood showing though. Wow.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

From the description its more like a storage cupboard. What a horrid over the top eye sore. 

Sellers description.

Beautiful and unique piece of Napoleon style grandfather clock. It comes in two pieces, bottom part with three selves included and top part which are body and clock head together, both are having doors and storage with few shelves inside

Yes but think about the practicality of it, if you take the shelves out you can then store your upright hoover in there 👍

7 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Here's one for sale in Australia.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175245915567?hash=item28cd7875af%3Ag%3A93EAAOSwED9hak86&LH_ItemCondition=3000

This one seems to have at least decade or so worth of age on it.

Do we have an idea roughly when most of these fake French carriage clocks were made?

Okaaay with a rear hand painting of crazy looking woman weilding a sharp weapon. I wonder if my missus posed for this 🤔

• Haha 1

I know this is @oldhippy's topic and it is about Carriage Clocks, but here is another clock I found. It would be a bit over a 4 hour round trip, but I can't think of any good reason that I would want to. Or anyone else for that matter.

I suppose at least he is honest and tells you what is missing, but $400? If I remember correctly, a working clock in far better condition than this can be had for half the price.

Maybe the 'not working' bit adds to the vintageness and value?

Click for link

Edited by Michael1962

• 3 weeks later...