Ebay flooded with Carriage clocks from China

oldhippy

4 hours ago, tictok said:

But does this mean that a clock like this will not function correctly, or for long? The sub-min I have has kept perfect time for the six months I've owned it. It has a weighty, solid feel, and doesn't (at least outwardly) look cheap or inferior.

It may function perfectly well for many years, in much the same way as a fake Rolex may function perfectly well for many years, but if you have bought one or been sold one as genuine then a deception has taken place a fake or homage that is sold as such is just that and costs much less than the real thing.

Anyone who is paying antique French carriage clock money for a modern Chinese one is being deceived and anyone who is passing off such a clock as the real article is committing a fraud.

The Chinese are churning out these things by the thousand, fine but lets never forget that they are a £50.00 product at best and if they didn't sell they would not make them but never can they be considered as good as a genuine article.

• Like 1

Sure! That's quite clear. I just wondered if they were complete rubbish. The recent "elliott" looked shoddy the more I viewed the pics.. dial and hands. If I'd paid 900 lsd for this sub-min I'd be unhappy... but I paid a tenth of that, and the seller didn't pass it of as anything but a mini brass clock. That it is. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Gilt-Brass-Oval-Carriage-Clock/184311854780?hash=item2ae9d7b6bc:g:AO4AAOSwOWNdXEgm

Not Chinese but modern. Nice clock if you like this sort of thing. Some idiot has scratched letters and numbers on the back plate. What gives it away? The screws are modern; the wells for holding the oil are different to the original French Carriage Clocks. You have to look hard but the click and click spring is not blued and looks flimsy. You can see how with modern teeth cutters have cut the teeth cut. The platform you can tell its modern but a nice one.  There is more I could say about the movement which tells me its modern but I won’t. I have just picked out the basic for you budding Carriage Clock collectors.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, oldhippy said:
On 5/30/2020 at 6:03 PM, wls1971 said:

Sounds like his missus thinks its a bigger piece of junk than he does, will be interesting to see what this fetches, I think some fool will pay over a £100.00 for it.

Someone has paid £131.00 for this piece of junk.

1 hour ago, Chemy said:

A CONTEMPORARY BRONZE REPEATING CARRIAGE CLOCK. 24 cm high inc handle.
A CONTEMPORARY BRONZE REPEATING CARRIAGE CLOCK. 24 cm high inc handle.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hannams-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srhan10086/lot-fece9d84-d53b-4d4c-aa3c-abd600e6d31f

Отправлено с моего HLK-AL00 через Tapatalk

That is a horrid piece of junk. 

• 3 months later...

I think for me this is one of the worse cases of Chinese clocks that I have ever seen. Starting bid £600. I can tell you would be throwing your money away its worthless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Gilt-Bronze-Repeating-Carriage-Clock-with-Painted-Porcelain-Panels-Cherubs/264889606994?hash=item3daca6a352:g:0fIAAOSw0kpffLqI

"Hi, sorry I don’t have an exact age however I don’t believe it is antique. I had it from a clock shop where apparently the owner had it cleaned. The cleanliness could be deceiving me though."

This is the answer I received. Possibly accurate, it's less than 100 years old.

Bod.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I think for me this is one of the worse cases of Chinese clocks that I have ever seen. Starting bid £600. I can tell you would be throwing your money away its worthless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Gilt-Bronze-Repeating-Carriage-Clock-with-Painted-Porcelain-Panels-Cherubs/264889606994?hash=item3daca6a352:g:0fIAAOSw0kpffLqI

The clock in the link provided by oldhippy is based upon an original produced by Drocourt in the 1870's the case is a Rococo style the following link shows an original retailed by Tiffany and Co :

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/3113-400/

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Not a carriage clock. This is still Chinese crap in the form of a French Large Vintage Cloisonné clock. Do not bid on this pile of junk. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Vintage-Cloisonne-Seven-Day-Brass-And-Enamel-Chiming-Clock/114477727209?hash=item1aa7677de9:g:cnkAAOSwn7pfkaQc

That is awful, it looks like it was made last week, I would not give £1.50 let alone £150 for that, looks so thinly made and cheap.. 

Not a carriage clock but another example of a Chinese fake clock, these have been turning up for the last 10 years or so and have been fetching good money they are a copy of a French swinging clock by Huguenin the first link is a copy being sold on ebay and the second link is a genuine clock:

Fake,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-MYSTERY-Clock/174498295554?hash=item28a0e8af02:g:wc0AAOSwKepfmvNj

Genuine,

http://www.my-time-machines.net/Huguenin.htm

You just have to look at the quality of the wheel work with these clocks to determine that the fakes are a very poor copy.

Ebay is full of idiots trying to rip people off. I sent this message to the seller. I'll let you know of the reply if he bothers. 

Why have you described this clock as a very rare clock saying it is buy HUGUENIN A PARIS. When it is a Chinese fake.