Is It A Nagra Or A Watch Winder

My occupation is working as an Electronics Engineer mostly servicing Pro Studio gear including the Nagra Range which is built in Switzerland to a very high standard almost approaching watchmaking specs.

So why not have a go at fixing a cheap watch to start.

I have owned a Breitling Navitimer 806 for over 50 years and it had never been serviced during this time

until this year when it started to loose time, I mistakenly took it to a local watch repair shop who did service it,

as well as my wife's Breitling 805 both watches came back working fine and the engineer had even fitted a

new face and bezel on my 806 as it was not easy to read the Slide Ruke anymore which I still use even

though I own a modern Smartphone and an iPad Mini.

Within a six months the sub hands have fallen off and my Bretling 806 has stopped the repair guy has made it quite clear that he only allows 3 months warranty.

So I have been recomended to send it to watchrepairsuk, and will be sending off both Breitlings before long

just have to save the costs which I feel is very reasonable considering both watches will look almost new cosmetically, as well as be in good working order.

So to see me by a friend suggested the Jaragar Slide Rule series, I ordered my first one and was pleasantly

surprised about its looks, but the slide Ruke is far from accurate and it was running 4 mins fast, I called the

supplier and they agreed that they would all be fast to begin with, I could not except this and decided it was

time to learn how to calibrate a watch.

Friends have admired the Jaragar since as it is now only gaining 6 seconds a day, but I've warned them

about having to calibrate them, so since, for friends I have worked on four more and got them all between

8 to 12 secs a day.

I have also replaced Crystals and painted the luminous on hands on other watches during the past 4 Months

and I realise now I'm caught, in the watch lover trap, as maybe some of the members here have experienced

BUT

My wife asked for a Jaragar while her Breitling 805 is being fully Re-Furbished and after Dismanling and gently

removing the Jaragar Stem, I adjusted it to within 9 seconds, reassembled and Re-fited the Stem but I find no matter how I try to refit the stem it will only turn the hands whether fully in or out, it will not wind the watch

Is there any member could advice me on exactly how the Stem works or better still have an answer for my problem.

Some members might wonder how I kept these Jaragar Automatics Runing when I was calibrating them,

below I have place a picture of a Nagra SN, who's take up reel turns at a steady speed and by placing the

watch movements into a plastic holder and fitting them to the empty Nagra reel with the Recorder tipped

up at one end, I now have a batch watch winder.

Do not attempt this on a normal Tape, Recorder as normally the take-up reel is usual quite fast, when not

pulling tape.

Kind Regards

Tony.

To find out more about my work either type into Google :

"Tony Arnold Producer/Engineer"

or visit my sites below.

trim.6E01A2F9-8826-4B83-B3DC-AFDA7F63E014.MOV

post-344-0-50906200-1412431778_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-47460200-1412431807_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-41437800-1412432710_thumb.jpg

Also a welcome from Florida, USA.

I'm not familiar with the movement and highly recommend Mark's videos on the subject. Follow Geo's link!

I would have also recommended contacting Mark for servicing your nice watches. It is evident he is THE watchmaker of choice.

Also a welcome from Florida, USA.

I'm not familiar with the movement and highly recommend Mark's videos on the subject. Follow Geo's link!

I would have also recommended contacting Mark for servicing your nice watches. It is evident he is THE watchmaker of choice.

I'll check if Mark can Re-polish the Cases because I could be interested.as he seems a great help to others, I have also checked his splendid work on YouTube some were working on Breitlings.

Many thanks to all who have replied

Kind Regards

Tony

Welcome Tony ... from what I'm reading I can see you becoming hooked on this hobby mate ... just warning you in advance :P

We are all here to help mate, so if you ever get stuck on something, don't get frustrated ... STOP ... and post for support. 

This has to be one of the most helpful group of fellas of any forum I've visited.

Edited by Lawson

Welcome Tony ... from what I'm reading I can see you becoming hooked on this hobby mate ... just warning you in advance :P

We are all here to help mate, so if you ever get stuck on something, don't get frustrated ... STOP ... and post for support. 

This has to be one of the most helpful group of fellas of any forum I've visited.

your right there as I have visited a couple and Marks videos are a Gem to to watch (Excuse the Pun) and learn.

Kind Regards

Tony

Oh well took the plunge after all its just a cheap watch so I'll kee0 it and purchase another for my pal the owner, because I think

I made a BIG bloomer, but then its all part of the learning curve, and I have a none working watch that I can experiment with.

I thought I would remove the the oscillating weight and follow the rest of Mark's

instructions with the understanding that the Watch Movement was at risk as not movements are the same and any problems that may occur would be due to my

lack of knowledge.

I then removed what I think is called the Ratchet Plate and then to my surprise

the cogs were not fixed they all fell away from their locating positions to a point I

did not know what went where, I should have known as it just a cheap movement.

Is it possible to purchase movements to replace this one or does anyone know

the way to get these cogs into their correct place.

I don't regret what has happened as its all part of learning and after all I now

have a movement that I can mess with.

Perhaps I should have removed the Hands & Face to fix the Winder position.

Also does anyone know of a stockist who keeps a large variety of movements.

Kind Regards

Tony

Picture 1 = Weight Removed, Picture 2 = Ratchet Plate removed, Picture 3 = Cogs Picture =Cogs removed

post-344-0-49767800-1412532202_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-90484100-1412532273_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-67537600-1412532301_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-54501400-1412532331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arny

You should have removed the movement from the case and then as you say above.

Dear George. (Is it George)

Thanks, yes the next thing I'll try is seeing if it can be done from entering via the Watch-face, as I now have a scrap Movement to practice on, so its not all bad news, its just in the YouTube Video its shown as a repair to be carried out from the back of the movement.

By the way I did completely remove the movement from the WatchCase and realised the WatchFace and hands would be safer

if the repair is to be carried out from the back of the movement, so I refitted the movement temporally.

Kind Regards

Tony

Edited by Arny

What movement is it? Maybe I can get you the service data...

Many thanks, yes if possible, its a cheap Jaragar Movement made in China with Date, the winder on the left is for the slide-rule, neat if only the slide rule was accurate.

Kind Regards

Tony.

Edited by Arny

Hi Tony, you should invest in a couple of movement holders, one large and one small. Apart from easier access you are less likely to encounter the type of problem that yo encountered. Another thing that is vitally important for someone setting out in watch repairs, is to take lots of pictures as you proceed. Believe me you really can't take enough.

Keep on practicing, because one of the most important things to acquire is a delicate touch.

Sorry Tony, Chinese movements are next to impossible to get from here. Maybe, searching the web... I'll check on that possibility later on.

Thanks that's kind of you, I even tried to find a website for Jaragar but nothing showed.

Kind Regards

Tony

Thanks for your kind advice, I have what I think is a movement holder if I don't then I'll invest in one.

Already being an engineer I realise the importance of having the right tools especially when working on Nagra's repairing iPods

has also proved to me my hands are very controlled.

At 78 I can still pour a pint from a bear mug into a very narrow necked Bottle the type with a piece of wire that pulls a ceramic

stopper into position and I don't use a Funnel. its a way I have of checking my hand control, it stems from just one of the tests

used from when I was Rallying Cars.

Because the side of the Movement was quite thin and could easily bend I decided to put it back into its case as I was approaching

the Task in hand from the back of the watch, but, don't think with a lot of care taken could have avoided those cogs jumping out of

position when I removed the Ratchet Plate, as they were not anchored in any way, they were just laying on the Movement, after

all its a cheaply manufactured Chinese Watch, and for what its cost its good value for money when I think of the knowledge I gaining

thanks to you guys "Many Thanks".

Below are the tools I have purchased up to date I also have two magnifying headsets, but if you feel there is anything else then let me know as I respect how important tools are, but only when in the right hands I hope those times will come for me.

Kind Regards

Tony.

post-344-0-34212000-1412628226_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-74852000-1412628257_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-28579800-1412628285_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-21883700-1412628314_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-18033200-1412628356_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-29305200-1412628390_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-96639800-1412628417_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-87154900-1412628444_thumb.jpg

You are welcome, still no luck though!

I don't know if it is me, or the pictures but I see a case holder but no movement holder. I think you'll greatly benefit from one...

Many thanks I'll check out a good pair from my supplier

Kind Regards

Tony.