Best current production lathe motor

Titanium

I cannot suggest a particular motor. I have had a look on ebay and there are a few there.

You might want to think about how you are going to control it. I had a foot control and found it very good as I could control what type of speed I needed.

Here's what our lathe expert david wrote about the Sincere (China made) motor:

Their quiet running  induction motor was around $200.00 but I like it much better than the brush type universal motors that are normally used. The  induction motor turns the same RPM whether running free or under a load during a cut. This helps keep a  consistent chip load and reduces pivot breakage during the turning operation.

I have a Multifix, highlights are lots of power, variable speed, and very well balanced.  I ended up with a used one and believe their lofty status is deserved...the disadvantage is expensive and no foot switch which would make it nicer to use.  I believe they are still in production

Many people use sewing machine motors. You can buy these used, or there is a seller on ebay who sells them new and specifically for this purpose for about £50. That’s what I use and im perfectly happy with it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATCHMAKERS-LATHE-120W-CLOCKWISE-ROTATION-MOTOR-CONTROL-PEDAL-Lathe-not-incl/351817207808?hash=item51e9f09000:g:JdIAAOSwGIRXY8FM

30 minutes ago, measuretwice said:

which one, the Multifix?  all I've seen are variable speed

I would say this one. It looks the same and the markings are the same.

I did not know there were different types. I can remember it would take a flexible shaft, but I never bothered.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t34hrkwIRHs