My First Watch And Present Watch

clockboy

See pics of my very first watch and my present watch on my wrist. My first watch was a birthday present (age 11) from my parents after successful nagging for a divers watch. It a is a Adrem divers watch with a EB8800 movement. It was very rusty (achieved after trying it in the bath many times) All parts were available the hardest bit was getting a new dial as the old one the enamel had just peeled off. The new face I was lucky to find on ebay unfortunately not the correct divers design . I also re-lumed the hands. My present watch speaks for itself. I did have lots of problems with the pics as the dial face of the Adrem reflects light even with no flash. Any tips on Macro photography much appreciated .

post-234-0-45164100-1412415417_thumb.jpgpost-234-0-59388400-1412415414_thumb.jpgpost-234-0-88776200-1412415415_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Gary,

The pics do not do it justice.I had real issues with light bounce from the face of the Adrem. It is actually black but no matter what I tried I could not stop the red reflection. The Rolex I purchased approx. 5 years ago from a dealer in London as a never worn watch that was originally purchased in Singapore !!!  I have never had the back off although  I know it is due for a service but I have not yet got all the tools required. I.E a special tool is required to adjust the screws on the balance that alters the speed. This watch has always gained about 0.5 of a minute a day.

Edited by clockboy

I had real issues with light bounce from the face of the Adrem. It is actually black but no matter what I tried I could not stop the red reflection.

Buy a polarising filter for your camera, that will get rid of the unwanted reflection. You will have to rotate the filter to get the optimum position for reflection reduction. If you can't get one with a rotating mount to screw onto your camera, buy one that is a bit bigger than the camera lens, and just hold it in front as you take the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, good job on restoring your first watch. I thought this was a good idea so if I may I'd like to post my first and last watch too.

My first watch is my Scooby Doo watch, don't know how old it is but I remember always having it, it used to have an orange leather strap that's long since fell apart and lost, the plastic crystal is scratched to bits and it hasn't ticked for years. I plan to open it up and get it going but want to gain some more experience first. It's not worth a penny but is priceless to me!

My latest watch is my Omega speedmaster professional, I've wanted one of these for many years and finally got it around a month or so ago. My wife bought me it, probably to shut me up and to stop me banging on about it all the time!

Other watches will come and go but these two I'm never parting with!

post-318-0-12309900-1413240590_thumb.jpg

post-318-0-20699400-1413240613_thumb.jpg

post-318-0-82259300-1413240633_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I love all watches in this thread. I can understand the sentimental value with the first watch and how it can, if I may say so, outweight the monetary value of more expensive, newer ones. This is a great thread just because of it! Thank you for showing them guys. I'll post mine later on when I get home.

I can't but be amazed at the excellent job with the ADREM restoration and I'd love to see the scooby one insides too.

Edited by bobm12

My first watch - from my watch repairing and jeweller uncle - was a Kienzle, which I got for passing the 11+ and getting a scholarship in (wait for it)... 1955! Alas, that's long gone. I had a  variety of watches after that, culminating in two quartz Longines.

When I started collecting mechanical, hand-wound watches, I sold the Longines - the movements were of little interest to me - and my first tentative purchase as a novice was a Roamer. My latest - a Longines! But this time with a mechanical movement and a 9ct gold case.

post-64-0-57009500-1413273324_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-60191600-1413273357_thumb.jpg

And, yes, I will get that subseconds dial cleaned up one day...

Edited by WillFly

I like the look of that Roamer too and the Longines, very nice. I'm not so keen on new longines watches but I do plan on buying a vintage one at some point. I'll post some photos when I open Scooby up but it may not be for a while yet. I've only stripped down and reassembled 3 watches so far and need to learn about lubricating them first and purchasing the appropriate lubricants.

Nice watches Will, I love the Roamer, it reminds me of my first watch and my Dad's watch.

I will be looking in my mother's house next to see if I can find my first one....if it still exist! She keeps a lot of memorabilia in the family! My latest acquisition is already posted: the giant Invicta watch or maybe the one's I've put together? Hard to decide what to post!