Bergon Cannon Pinion Remover Not Working. Help needed!

VWatchie

Yesterday I found this cannon pinion remover on eBay, and although the gripping part (claws) isn't shown, I suspect it is of the same kind as shown in Mark's videos and as the one jdrichard shows here. I really don't want to miss out if that's the case. I've asked the seller to take additional pictures but haven't heard anything yet. I'm really worried someone will snatch it in front of me. What do you think? Thanks!

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Can't you use a pin vise. Hard to image that a part so small is so tight.

Well, so far I have successfully been using a presto tool and even tweezers before I had the presto tool! I realize it may seem irrational, but I'm not really trying to solve a problem, I'm looking for an optimal method of removing the cannon pinion; one that is as easy and safe as can be. Plus, good working tools are a joy to have and to use. So, what do you all think? Would this cannon pinion remover be of the same kind as the one Mark and jdrichard are using? I'd really appreciate your input, even guesses!

Another possibility could be to place a tiny bit of plastic around the cannon to make the tool grip happily.

I like tools like anybody else but my first objective is to get the job done perfectly, then whatever I use for is secondary to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Another possibility could be to place a tiny bit of plastic around the cannon to make the tool grip happily.

I like tools like anybody else but my first objective is to get the job done perfectly, then whatever I use for is secondary to me. 

Thanks for the suggestion, and oh yes, there seems to be no end to the many ingenious methods many watch repairers think out and apply to get the job done, and done perfectly! I marvel at that and often wish I was just as smart.

Anyway, a cannon pinion remover was in my budget, and now that CousinsUK has granted me a refund, I just don't know what else to do with the money ;)

11 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Well, so far I have successfully been using a presto tool and even tweezers before I had the presto tool! I realize it may seem irrational, but I'm not really trying to solve a problem, I'm looking for an optimal method of removing the cannon pinion; one that is as easy and safe as can be. Plus, good working tools are a joy to have and to use. So, what do you all think? Would this cannon pinion remover be of the same kind as the one Mark and jdrichard are using? I'd really appreciate your input, even guesses!

Im using this one and it seems to work fine, got it from cousinsuk. If you want a vintage one make sure that bit which catch cannon pinion is intact, sometimes its damaged and doesnt work well (it has to close evenly after lever is pressed). Its one of the safest tools for removing cannon pinions.

• Like 1

Well, I do hope I've made the right decision in buying it, which I did a few hours ago. The seller published a picture with the claws closed (as can be seen below) and I estimate that it will work well with cannon pinions somewhat smaller in size (around 0.8 mm). Well, the wait begins, but I let you know as soon as I've tested it. Thanks for all input!

42908521182_479a41f587_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, VWatchie said:

Well, I do hope I've made the right decision in buying it, which I did a few hours ago. The seller published a picture with the claws closed (as can be seen below) and I estimate that it will work well with cannon pinions somewhat smaller in size (around 0.8 mm). Well, the wait begins, but I let you know as soon as I've tested it. Thanks for all input!

I'm happy to report that this cannon pinion remover works perfectly! And I don't see that it wouldn't be able to remove even very small cannon pinions. It's not the same as the one used by Mark and jdrichard (obvious when comparing the images of the claws), but oh how very smooth and exact it is. It's a joy just to hold it, and the thought that this tool might have been used, perhaps for decades, by a skilled watch repairer, is quite inspiring! Just love it! :wub:

18 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I'm happy to report that this cannon pinion remover works perfectly! And I don't see that it wouldn't be able to remove even very small cannon pinions. It's not the same as the one used by Mark and jdrichard (obvious when comparing the images of the claws), but oh how very smooth and exact it is. It's a joy just to hold it, and the thought that this tool might have been used, perhaps for decades, by a skilled watch repairer, is quite inspiring! Just love it! :wub:

Very good I don’t know how people can do without one....

2 minutes ago, BUSAKAZ said:

Very good I don’t know how people can do without one....

Well, I did, for a while, but it sure is a great help. Come to think of it; another great help is my stereomicroscope. Now that I have more experience I don't need it quite as often but in the beginning, it was a fantastic help, especially to be able to see clearly, in 3D, the oiling of the jewel pivot holes.

Here's another image of my cannon pinion remover that might be helpful to anyone who would like to compare it to other cannon pinion removers that might be listed on eBay and similar sites.

28437106767_f8b967658a_o.jpg

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2

Glad you got it all sorted out!

When first reading, I was going to suggest wrapping dental floss around the canon and then trying.

Looks like you found a good one! Just clean and polish so it gleams like new for next time!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tudor said:

Glad you got it all sorted out!

When first reading, I was going to suggest wrapping dental floss around the canon and then trying.

Looks like you found a good one! Just clean and polish so it gleams like new for next time!

Thanks! There's a lot to learn about watch repairing, and I guess that's part of why it's so rewarding, although sometimes very frustrating.

There always seems to be more than one way to solve a problem, and I guess that too adds to the enjoyment.

Yes, no doubt, this is a good one! Looking around here on watchrepairtalk, I actually found a thread including my particular version of cannon pinion remover with a picture of its original instructions! I'll link it below. Actually, I won't polish it, as I enjoy its patina as much as I enjoy its smooth operation. I have cleaned it very carefully though, using Rodico to get rid of oil, dirt, and rust.

M-C Canon-pinion remover09172017.jpg