June 2nd Clock Quiz

oldhippy

The clock has either been a hook and spike clock and converted to long case by the maker or by someone else at a later date so it should have started life as a uncased wall clock such as the one in the following link:

https://www.loveantiques.com/antique-clocks/georgian-antiques-(1714-to-1837)/antique-hook-and-spike-wall-clock-baxter-conderton-77668

• Like 1

Yes you are correct.

It started life as a hook and spike. Hook and spike movements tended to be of the bird cage type.  I thought this would be hard. But not for you, you sure know your stuff and also reading the right books. :Bravo:

The solid back plate did throw me for a while but I could see no other reason for the extra holes.

These clocks are often described as crude which by todays standard they are but in your experience how accurate would a clock like this be ? and another thing that must effect these clocks is they are open with no covering of the movement is this a big problem regarding dust they must need more regular cleaning.

5 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Cool, would of never guessed that.

I knew it was a 30 hour clock but that was it.

Would this of originally used rope and have been converted to chain?

Most started with a rope, but ropes fray and do not last that long. Chains took over because they are more robust and stronger. Sometimes you can see that the spikes have been altered in order to take the linkage of the chain.

5 hours ago, wls1971 said:

The solid back plate did throw me for a while but I could see no other reason for the extra holes.

These clocks are often described as crude which by todays standard they are but in your experience how accurate would a clock like this be ? and another thing that must effect these clocks is they are open with no covering of the movement is this a big problem regarding dust they must need more regular cleaning.

They can very accurate to less then 1 minute a week. Any clock movement that is open will get dirty quick.

These movements are big and very robust so dirt is not a big problem, but of cause, wear and tear will set in. As you know, it takes something major to stop clocks like these. With the wonder of history no central heating to screw it up. Many were converted to what are known as Hooded clocks, so the hood would protect the movement.

Hooded Clock.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

They can very accurate to less then 1 minute a week. Any clock movement that is open will get dirty quick

That's quite impressive really for the tools and manufacturing processes available at the time I had really got the idea in my head that they wouldn't be that accurate.