Renata vs Energizer Batteries which is better?

I use nothing but Renata as I've yet to have one leak and ruin a watch.  Not that that means anything.  It just has not happened to me yet.  I have had however, several watches with Energizers and others, that have leaked in the watch.  It would be nice if some of you who are in the watch repair field could weigh in on this.    Personally, it's totally unacceptable for a watch battery to leak.

8 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Personally, it's totally unacceptable for a watch battery to leak.

When the charge is exhausted, chemicals become acid and may corrode case and leak. I have never seen any battery manufactured promise in writing a protection for that.

Solution, do not leave discharged batteries in watches.

Yes, JDM, I totally agree, but the reality is people leave dead batteries in watches and some battery manufactures really do things on the cheap that make the problem way worse.  But yes, it's going to be a continuous problem.  The down side of batteries.  On a side note, I've had problems with AA and AAA batteries but since switching to Lithium the problem is gone.  The point is, I suspect the problem could be solved and yes, I'd be happy to pay twice or three times the price for such a quality battery. 

20 minutes ago, Khronos said:

The point is, I suspect the problem could be solved and yes, I'd be happy to pay twice or three times the price for such a quality battery. 

For the most common sizes, Renata now offers a Premium type. Among the features they list:

State of the art leak proofness thanks to a new sophisticated sealing process

So I have to stand corrected about makers not making claims in this area.

To  put my 5 eggs in,  I use Renata, Sony and Maxell and have never had a problem. I recently had a Ladies Rotary that the battery had leaked in. A local franchised shoe repairer had forced the battery out and  lost the insulator,  then told the owner that it was BER !. I gave it the treatment and it left me OK. I do not know what the original battery make was. (All made in China I believe) He was probably OK with boots and shoes !!!.

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2018 at 12:53 PM, Khronos said:

I use nothing but Renata as I've yet to have one leak and ruin a watch.  Not that that means anything.  It just has not happened to me yet.  I have had however, several watches with Energizers and others, that have leaked in the watch.  It would be nice if some of you who are in the watch repair field could weigh in on this.    Personally, it's totally unacceptable for a watch battery to leak.

they both leak, the problem is to leave the dead battery inside to long, or if the watch is not sealed and moisture manages to get inside the watch that would also cause the battery to leak

I've seen many brands of batteries leak. But the question is whether they were original or fakes?

I suspect that some repairers are sourcing for the best bargains online. If you take a look at AliExpress and Amazon, there are batteries that are ridiculously cheap. Once it is out of its packaging, it would be really difficult to tell its authenticity. 

Searching on Google according to them Renata are the best. They are also the battery of choice fitted by premier Swiss watch houses including Tag HEUER, Breitling, Chopard and even Rolex for their quartz collections.

Renata are part of the Swatch Group so I assume would have a vested interest in quality required for watches.  I always use Renata and have had no problems with leakage.  Leakage problems encountered usually due to low quality batteries or not silver oxide type fitted. Similarly I would expect Seizaiken (Seiko) batteries would be ok.

Edited by canthus

• 4 months later...

It depends, if you ask Americans they will tell you renata because Americans hate anything made in the USA, if you ask a outside the US people will tell you energizer because they like American stuff, in my own experience both batteries are good, same quality same battery, no difference.

Having only just started watch repairing I don't have a long history to refer back to, but I have looked a quite a few Quartz watches for friends and neighbours that have been left in draws for in some cases many years, so all the batteries were long dead.  Not one of them showed any sign of leaking, and all sprang into life with a new battery.

I did have some selection packs of Kodak branded watch batteries bought before I knew better, and some of those leaked whilst still in their packaging, so these were never used in a watch, but were used in other gadgets I had that needed small batteries.

I tend to buy Maxell for watches now.

On a side note in the electronic repair world Duracell and Energizer AA batteries are well know for their fondness to leak so don't risk anything from them these days.

Paul

• 2 years later...