Small parts containers

JoeM

I'm about to pull the trigger on Course 2 with a Unitas 6498 movement from an old Arnex pocket watch.  In the meantime, I've gotten ahead of myself with a Timex 2017 2470A watch and taken the movement out by removing the stem, hands, and face (3 tabs).  What do you all use to hold the small parts?  I'm thinking I want to keep each section of the movement in its own container, but I'm stopping now until I take the course since I'm guessing there is a specific order to disassembly, cleaning, inspection, replacement parts, reassembly, oiling, etc.  Nontheless, I need some small cups.

I like to keep associated parts together. For example a bridge and it's screws, all the train wheels, balance assembly, and keyless works parts. It makes things easier for reassembly. 

At one time I used Pill Boxes which are available in most pharmacy's. However, I have switched to aluminum containers which I ordered from a watch parts supplier. They are very inexpensive. I have attached pictures. The aluminum containers have a see through cover and  fit together in a nice box so I have all the watch parts in one place.

13529F22-C3CB-4890-B64F-6FD61AA62E7B.jpeg

E954A316-D618-4D06-8B68-FED99F96CF5D.jpeg

This is what I use now.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/trays-watch-disassembly-assembly

Once you have got a set you will buy more. They stack so depending on what type of watch you are working on you may use 1, 2 or 3 trays or more. I do feel these are the best for storing disassembled watches, especially if you have several on the go as they stack whilst waiting on parts to arrive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

This is what I use now.

Once you have got a set you will buy more. They stack so depending on what type of watch you are working on you may use 1, 2 or 3 trays or more. I do feel these are the best for storing disassembled watches, especially if you have several on the go as they stack whilst waiting on parts to arrive.

Those are nice too!

3 hours ago, Tmuir said:

This is what I use now.

You can get these in the States from Cas-Ker (jewlerssupplies.com)

• Like 1

On 1.6.2018 at 10:23 AM, oldhippy said:

This shows you how long ago back in the 70's and 80's I used this type. I bet you can't get these now.

11-Vintage-Watch-Parts-Containers-With-Glass-Lids.jpg

you can get them still in all sizes. Aluminium / glass. Made in India.

Frank