First mainspring installation question

Hi All

I'm back with another question concerning my EB 1575N learning piece.   Previously I learned that I needed a new mainspring which I just received.  The package says that a winder is not required.  Rather, "merely push the mainspring from the Jiffy-Pak directly into the barrel".  This is pictured below.  What should I expect?  Would the spring explode if not unpacked correctly.

Thank you for any help!

Charlie 

Maryland, US 

IMG_2944.JPG.fd51b4cdecf0a7e911079b79f24b600c.JPG

Hi All
I'm back with another question concerning my EB 1575N learning piece.   Previously I learned that I needed a new mainspring which I just received.  The package says that a winder is not required.  Rather, "merely push the mainspring from the Jiffy-Pak directly into the barrel".  This is pictured below.  What should I expect?  Would the spring explode if not unpacked correctly.
Thank you for any help!
Charlie 
Maryland, US 

IMG_2944.JPG.fd51b4cdecf0a7e911079b79f24b600c.JPG

Hi Charlie,
I have installed a number of mainsprings using this method (as well as a mainspring winder). Providing you ensure the spring within the shim (jiffy-pak) is seated within the barrel before pressing down, you will have no problem. Press firmly around the circumference and it will “click “ into place and the shim will fall away.
One word of caution; there are right and left hand wound springs. If you took a photo before removing the old spring, take note of the direction of the spring coil in the centre. Right-hand wound (the most common) are installed with the coloured side of the shim facing up towards you, for left-hand winders, simply flip the shim over. I found this out once by mistake and ended up having to remove the spring and reinstall with a mainspring winder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you "mess it up" it'll simply untangle and then you have to get it back into it's spiral shape (or whatever you call it) which requires some tools to do. [emoji4]

Yep, agree. You can carefully wind in by hand without a tool, though there’s a risk of distorting the spring. I’ve done this before I invested in winders too.

This type is factory wound so it just fits inside the barrel. Make sure you have it the correct way first find the stop or hook part inside the barrel, position your spring as near as you can and put it in, take a small piece of tissue paper and place over it and press it in it should un coil and you are ready to fit the arbor. The piece of tissue will prevent skin oils from contaminating the spring. Depending on the type, that you have it should say if it has been lubricated.  

7 hours ago, AdamC said:

Hi Charlie,
I have installed a number of mainsprings using this method (as well as a mainspring winder). Providing you ensure the spring within the shim (jiffy-pak) is seated within the barrel before pressing down, you will have no problem. Press firmly around the circumference and it will “click “ into place and the shim will fall away.
One word of caution; there are right and left hand wound springs. If you took a photo before removing the old spring, take note of the direction of the spring coil in the centre. Right-hand wound (the most common) are installed with the coloured side of the shim facing up towards you, for left-hand winders, simply flip the shim over. I found this out once by mistake and ended up having to remove the spring and reinstall with a mainspring winder.

that is a very good question.    how do you tell which way the spring barrel is wound?  vin

1 hour ago, TimFitz said:

You can also at the barrel arbor the hook will only hook one way.

Boy, that's helpful for us beginners.  Thanks.

Nowhere does it state that the spring is pre-lubed.  I recently purchased some Moebius 8200.  Would I install the spring and then add a few dots of the 8200.  I can't find Mark's video on mainspring lubrication.

Also, the arbor hook appears very small.  Is it broken?IMG_2946.JPG.6a24a296aa6df3938873626dbaa46a51.JPG

Thank you

IMG_2945.JPG

You are quite welcome we like to help!

The hook doesn't appear to be broken , however I would clean up those very rough spots.

As far as lubrication you would probably get a different answer from 10 different people. The springs come with somekind of lubricant from the factory, to keep them from rusting. I put a bit of grease in the barrel (more is not better) & if I am using a mainspring winder I put some with my finger to make the spring transfer over to the barrel easier .