Split winding stem?

Hi,

I came across an old tank style watch where the movement must be front loaded as there’s no case back to remove, the movement sits deep in the hollowed casing.

I have limited experience from split stems. I have encountered one where the stem ended in a ”hook” and I could slide out the movement by finding the correct turning angle for the crown.

This one doesn’t seem to work that way... I have attached a photo showing where the stem goes into the casing and besides the stem being of wider diameter than usual, there’s also what appears like slots on opposite sides that I suppose may indicate where the stem can separate?

I have tried to pull the crown hard but nothing happens and I’m afraid something may break.

I would appreciate some advice here and if it’s just brute force that counts...

/Bsoderlingb695c9e398b24e0b766e03d605d2993d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Chopin, that was for sure speedy response :-),

And right you are, I tried a pair of wire cutters with steep edges under the crown and off it came...

Photo is attached. Pretty nice movement, don’t you think? And actually ticking with some determination.

Thanks!
f642977e1a3d26e3f44fbcf036a21992.jpg

Thanks oldhippy, good thought but not the case as you can in the recent posting.

On setting lever springs, I find these to be very often gone on the old-timers I through myself at. Luckily the watch isn’t really depending on this ”feature” and I most often accept it for a fact as chasing up the correct part can be both endless and, if I find the part, expensive

Again thanks for all input!

These crowns do indeed come out with difficulty but then again it's better than having a crown slip off while simply adjusting the time.

Indeed that is a lovely little movement and it sure looks to be of, more or less, high quality. What is it ?

You can use pliers or really thick tweezers but you can try and put something between the metal and the teeth of the tool that you use to protect the metal.

Edited by Chopin

The dial says ”Mowy” but there’s no id visible anywhere on the movement 240bd77174dd9a534d3f376dce87d2ae.jpgso I presume it’s a ”generic” of some kind.

What intrigued me was the rather elaborate casing design with all its bits an pieces... phota attached.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chopin said:

I can't tell from the photo what we're dealing with here but some stems and crowns are male/female type.

Longines-Admiral-4.jpg

the 2 part stem as pictured above is the standard for the front loader vintage wrist watch.  use an old pair of tweezers to apply an even pressure when prying it off.  new watches may be different.  vin

18 hours ago, bsoderling said:

Hi Chopin, that was for sure speedy response :-),

And right you are, I tried a pair of wire cutters with steep edges under the crown and off it came...

Photo is attached. Pretty nice movement, don’t you think? And actually ticking with some determination.

Thanks!
f642977e1a3d26e3f44fbcf036a21992.jpg

Whats the size of that movement? It's either a FHF or a ETA i think. 

19 hours ago, bsoderling said:

The dial says ”Mowy” but there’s no id visible anywhere on the movement 240bd77174dd9a534d3f376dce87d2ae.jpgso I presume it’s a ”generic” of some kind.

What intrigued me was the rather elaborate casing design with all its bits an pieces... phota attached.

the case appears to be a Wyler.  vin

Hi and thanks for all the interesting info.

Wyler is an unknown for me. Will google a bit to catch up.

The movement baseplate measures 17,5 x 26 mm.

I have attached a photo of the dial. Have seen better but also a lot worse :-)

a33c4b29c436e3b75138d971253266b8.jpg

Indeed....found a Wyler thread on watchuseek that talks about a close to identical watch.

The movement is mentioned as MST 312 in the thread. Any info on that is appreciated.

The one I got has some kind of shock proof add-on though, so maybe it’s somewhat younger?

I presume the ”wy” in ”Mowy” is there to indicate a sub-brand to Wyler. There seems to have been variations on that theme at the time.

I´ll make sure to post the final result of my efforts when done with the service and clean-up.