Carl Zeiss - Eye Mag Pro

With all the talk of Long Arm Microscopes to add in watch repairing, I too have been looking into optical solutions to use.

I find after many hours using a standard loupe my dominant eye gets a little strained ... not to mention having lack of depth perception whilst working.

I was at my Dentist the other day, and she was using a pair of Carl Zeiss Stereo Optics to aid her, and I asked if I could have a look through them .... WOW OH WOW!! 

Simply stunning vision!!  So clear, and with a huge "exit pupil" things were nice and bright to boot.  The only issue was the focus length ... as they were set for dental work @ 500mm (19.68inches).  But I definitely wanted to know more!!

So I called Zeiss in Australia, and explained my needs.  They were incredibly helpful and supportive to my inquires ... it's truly a shock to receive old style customer service these days, but that's what I got from Zeiss.  So much so that they sent a rep to my house with a demo pair for me to loan for a week or two: like I said old style customer service at it's BEST!

Here they are ... the Carl Zeiss EyeMag Pro F.

post-246-0-97033600-1412334374_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-07526100-1412334380_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-50735100-1412334377_thumb.jpg

These ones are 4x power, with a focal length (FL) of 300mm (11.81 inches), which is not from the end of lens, but from your forehead ... so you can take the length of the lens out of the equation.  These are a little bit too far away from the work I think; and I mentioned this to their rep.  He suggested to keep them for a week, and if he found a set with a close FL he would contact me.

Not 2 hours later he called and said they had a pair of 5x with an FL of 235mm (9.25 inches).  That sounds about perfect to me.  They will be shipping them out to me, free of charge, to test for a few weeks.   Just amazing service!!

So I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

• Like 2

Yeah, they're not cheap ... but cheap gear isn't good, and good gear isn't cheap.

Remember, these are fully Titanium construction, with lifetime warranty.  The rep was telling me that some spinal surgeons have been using similar optics from Zeiss for over 30+ years, and they are still covered under warranty.

This, to me, is an investment in my eyesight (comfortable, fog free, stereo vision, with high quality German Lens), and product I will be enjoying for decades after I've forgotten about the initial cost.  As long as the "5x @ 235mm (9.25inches)" lens work well, I'll be putting the money down on them.

Those are powerful reasons Lawson. If you put it that way I guess I would do the same in your place! As for me, at this time, I will wait a little and of course since you have the opportunity to test it for free, I will await impatiently for your review of the item. This will be in my wish list for now...well at the top....pending wife approval! :(

PS. Maybe if Zeiss knows about this forum they might consider a discount for forum members! :)

Edited by bobm12

bobm12, on 04 Oct 2014 - 2:23 PM, said:

I will await impatiently for your review of the item. This will be in my wish list for now...well at the top....pending wife approval! :(

It will be a very unbiased review Bob.  I've already told the rep that the current ones I have are not "fit for task" because they are a bit long in the focal length @ 300mm (11.81 inches).  I should be getting the pair set @ 235mm (9.25inches) to test, next week.  I will be testing them on an ST96, ETA 2540, and a pocket watch before I'm satisfied they will do the job.  So they will be put through the paces.

At this point I am impressed by firstly by the customer service of Zeiss: with the lengths they have gone to, and their willingness to help a single individual with an unusual request, and the quality and finish of the product.  The ONLY thing that's stopping me from buying them is the focal length of the optics, but this is paramount to my purchase, and has to be spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

The testing is done, the verdict is in.

I have run the Zeiss - Eye Mag Pro F 5x @ 235mm (9.25inches) through their paces on many watches, including several Analog Quartz movements with very small gear trains.

So what do I think? ....

These are the BEST optics for working on watches bar none! I will never, and I mean NEVER, go back to using a standard monocular eye loupes again; except on inspections that require the extreme magnification of a 20x to 30x loupe ... which is rare.  The clarity is so good that I don't even have to swap to a higher power loupe to locate the tiniest of pivots, even the tiny rotors in Quartz analog movements ... this set does it all.  I have shown them to several professional watchmakers, who have been in the trade for decades (some as much as 50yrs), and they are astounded by the Eye Mag Pro's clarity and comfort, and are looking into getting themselves a pair.

Believe me when I say there is nothing like working with stereo vision that moves with your head movements, and gives complete depth perception at all times.  If you can afford to buy them, DO IT!  And if you can't afford to buy them .... SAVE! :)

• Like 2

Did you find the weight to be an issue if they were worn for long periods of time?

Hey Geo,

Not at all my friend. 

They are completely Titanium, including the frames. 

And if you have a look at the nose piece of the frames they are very well padded in soft rubbery plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my optics from Zeiss, delivered directly to my work :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The magnification/optical length ratio is no longer a stock item at Zeiss (note they are black instead of the new silver look) ; BUT they still have old stock of the 5x @ 235mm which they are heavily discounting at the moment to clear the NOS!  I saved AU$1340.00, nearly a 50% discount!! ... so if you want a pair ORDER THEM NOW!

Here's my invoice:

post-246-0-99788700-1414798323_thumb.jpg

Here's the stock number of the optic to get the ones that are discounted:

post-246-0-44378000-1414798321_thumb.jpg

They come in a very sturdy case that will keep them well protected

post-246-0-67820200-1414798315_thumb.jpg

Picture of the inside of the case with my new Eye Mag Pro F optics

post-246-0-87903000-1414798318_thumb.jpg

Here is my cheapo solution: 6x magnification 370mm working disatance - $275 plus shipping.

Flip Up Prismatic Loupes 6.0X Titanium Frames.  Ref. Nº F-T-6.0X

From CareOptical (China)
http://www.optical-world.com/optical-loupes-flip-up-prismatic-loupes_c8

The optics are excellent but I would have liked a shorter WD.

post-374-0-83393000-1414848628_thumb.jpg

I am buying these more comfortable eye glasses to replace the supplied Ti frames.
UVEX I-VO 9160-120 Safety Glasses / Spectacles - Clear Lens + Head Band

post-374-0-32019100-1414848647.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/1/2014 at 2:32 PM, cdjswiss said:

Here is my cheapo solution: 6x magnification 370mm working disatance - $275 plus shipping.

Happy with your solution? I'm (more than) tempted to give it a try. Working distance is specified to 340mm. Did you measure 370 mm or just a typo? Thanks!