Shim under the balance cock

This is common in Russian watches and should be put back in place otherwise the balance will not have enough end shake and you will encounter poor balance amplitude, they are an absolute pain to put back sometimes they are hard to keep in place.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, p2n said:

Do you think this was put there during manufacture or repair?

Should I put it back in or try it without it first?

shim.JPG.51292181eb13d7eb383324384b5d331f.JPG

P5140026.thumb.JPG.61e95e127f5a4bca0649092688704dd7.JPG

Was this under the balance cock? If it was I have seen something like this before on an american watch . I believe it was to keep the balance stem up just a bit. I know the watch woulden't work without it. I doubt it was factory installed

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Vostok 2409/2414 movements and the Poljot 2614.2H movement to any beginning watch repairer.

Oh yes, a shim is sometimes used, but it works and I consider that a lot more serious than making a "bump" in the main plate as the Chinese do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I have serviced a few Sekonda watches and found them OK to service with good results.  I have had no experience with Poljot. 

The SEKONDA uses a Poljot 2614.2H.

Getting back to the original question I have found shims in a few vintage watches and in the occasional pocket watch. I think some Russian watches have them fitted as standard. For others it is where a new staff has been fitted and it is a bit tight. The correct method is to hone the staff to the correct length but some revert to the shim method to save time

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, TimFitz said:

Was this under the balance cock? If it was I have seen something like this before on an american watch . I believe it was to keep the balance stem up just a bit. I know the watch woulden't work without it. I doubt it was factory installed

do the Russ factory or any country put  a shim under the bridge?  vin

I can assure you these shims are indeed part of the movement. Back in the 70’s and 80’s all the Russian movements of that period had them.  They were machined to size and shape to fit under the balance cock.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2018 at 5:55 PM, p2n said:

Do you think this was put there during manufacture or repair?

Should I put it back in or try it without it first?

shim.JPG.51292181eb13d7eb383324384b5d331f.JPG

P5140026.thumb.JPG.61e95e127f5a4bca0649092688704dd7.JPG

Yes I have the same part only my problem is that my balance is loose and broken from the cock. I have three new balances but can't get it attached. Help