How to open this monobloc vacuum watch

Hey everyone, 

I need to service this monobloc watch but couldn't figure out how to open it, I read that the bezel is screwed down and I need to unscrew but don't know how to proceed, are there special tools for this? Or should come up with something? Please help with any advice and tips.

Thanks alot 

0524181837b.jpg

0524181837a.jpg

I haven't worked on this model but I would proceed as follows.

1. Try to pop off the square bezel by inserting a sharp knife (paper cutter) between it and the case (be careful not to cut yourself).

2. If this doesn't work, remove the crystal with a crystal lift (claw).

3. Once either step 1 and 2 are successful, try to locate a stem release in the gap between dial and case. Pull the crown thru all positions as sometimes the stem release will only be visible in one position. If you can't see any visible release then its probably a two piece stem and will need a hard pull to be disconnected.

Some pics of the caseback would be nice.

Anilv

10 hours ago, anilv said:

I haven't worked on this model but I would proceed as follows.

1. Try to pop off the square bezel by inserting a sharp knife (paper cutter) between it and the case (be careful not to cut yourself).

2. If this doesn't work, remove the crystal with a crystal lift (claw).

3. Once either step 1 and 2 are successful, try to locate a stem release in the gap between dial and case. Pull the crown thru all positions as sometimes the stem release will only be visible in one position. If you can't see any visible release then its probably a two piece stem and will need a hard pull to be disconnected.

Some pics of the caseback would be nice.

Anilv

Thanks Anil,

The bezel is screwed down, I read it on another forum, the crystal is a flat mineral and is flush with the bezel. I was thinking of pulling the stem out and do the syringe thing but I don't think it's gonna work.

I will post Caseback pics later.

Thanks again

I doubt that the bezel is screwed down. Unliklu because, among other reasons, that makes it difficult to tighten it properly while maintaining a 90 deg alignment to the square case.

32 minutes ago, Fred said:

Thanks Anil,

The bezel is screwed down, I read it on another forum, the crystal is a flat mineral and is flush with the bezel. I was thinking of pulling the stem out and do the syringe thing but I don't think it's gonna work.

I will post Caseback pics later.

Thanks again

bezel or back,  wrist or pocket watch,   determining wether pop-off or screw down  is not allways easy to dertermin with out causing damage to the watch case.  what was the web site that info. please.  vin

5 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

bezel or back,  wrist or pocket watch,   determining wether pop-off or screw down  is not allways easy to dertermin with out causing damage to the watch case.  what was the web site that info. please.  vin

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/%2410-flea-market-find-le-jour-442495.html#/topics/442495

It says the bezel is screw on. The bezel has damage and it's misaligned.

12 minutes ago, jdm said:

Without pictures you can't be aure it's the same watch. I can understand a round screwed bezel, but less a square one. Of course I can be wrong.

Let's assume it's screwed, how would you screw it down? What tool to use?

0525181204.jpg

May not provide sufficient torque but a rubber tool like one to remove camera lens retaining rings will be fairly gentle to the case. Can pick them up on eBay cheaply9pcs-lot-Generic-Camera-Lens-Rubber-Lens-Repair-Tool-Set-Ring-Filter-Removal-for-Camera.jpeg

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBerry said:

May not provide sufficient torque but a rubber tool like one to remove camera lens retaining rings will be fairly gentle to the case. Can pick them up on eBay cheaply9pcs-lot-Generic-Camera-Lens-Rubber-Lens-Repair-Tool-Set-Ring-Filter-Removal-for-Camera.jpeg

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I use large o rings also.  vin

Old (really old) Oyster Cases has the top bezel screwed on. But they were round... that’s why several Datejust models have that saw tooth bezel that persists. Now it presses on but the design originally used a tool to unscrew like the Case back.

if it must unscrew, I like the hardwood fixture idea. Sugar maple is probably good and fairly cheap. If it’s a chrome plated brass case, you may want to try something softer- perhaps Alder. 

If it does unscrew, it might be a metallic gasket, so it is compressed a known amount when the case is aligned... a rubber replacement may not test to the original depth rating. If that matters at all. 

Either way it’s interesting!

0525181204.thumb.jpg.abc41f02427e90a04eaacb635923793b.jpg
You could try this ... duct tape on a plastic round support, sticky side outside.
You'll have to clean the glue from your caseback after but it works pretty well'
Here's mine I use when caseback openers don't work.

06c34eea4321ca971b8953f0706435c4.jpg

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

On 25/05/2018 at 6:16 PM, Fred said:

0525181204.jpg

Unfortunately it's not a screwed case back.

It's a solid one-piece case and the bezel is screwed, with a gasket.

The waterpfroodness was obtained by wacuum sealing usig Argon.

See here : http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=577

So you have to unscrew the bezel and remove the glass.

I think you still can use duct tape for that if you have a crystal press :

1 - chose a die that is just a bit larger than the crystal

2 - put some duct tape on it

3 - stick on the bezl+crystal, then press firmly and turn

It could work.

Important thing is that you have very low chance to get the waterproofness back without using a vacuum chamber.

I dont think the owner would dive with that watch but you'd better check with him.

Edited by manodeoro

24 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

Unfortunately it's not a screwed case back.

The OP is aware of that, in fact he's asking how to unscrew the bezel.

Important thing is that you have very low chance to get the waterproofness back without using a vacuum chamber.
The waterpfroodness was obtained by wacuum sealing usig Argon.
See here : http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=577

That makes no sense, and is not what the blog says. Water resistance is obtained by a given construction and use of gaskets. In fact, if a watch was to be cased in vacuum, it would be subject to positive pressure right away. Not a good thing.

What the article says is that certain watches are cased in inert gas chambers to avoid the possibility of condensation from humid air. The real necessity of such practice is debatable, since all the other makers and repairers obtain the same result by casing in dry air using simple methods.

35 minutes ago, jdm said:

The OP is aware of that, in fact he's asking how to unscrew the bezel.

That's what I proposed ... a way to open the bezel.

I know my duct-tape method could sound weird and far from professional but it works on almost all screwed casebacks ... so why not on a screwed bezel ?

35 minutes ago, jdm said:

That makes no sense, and is not what the blog says. Water resistance is obtained by a given construction and use of gaskets. In fact, if a watch was to be cased in vacuum, it would be subject to positive pressure right away. Not a good thing.

What the article says is that certain watches are cased in inert gas chambers to avoid the possibility of condensation from humid air. The real necessity of such practice is debatable, since all the other makers and repairers obtain the same result by casing in dry air using simple methods.

My fault ... I should think a little before typing nonsense.

1 minute ago, manodeoro said:

That's what I proposed ... a way to open the bezel.

I know my duct-tape method could sound weird and far from professional but it works on almost all screwed casebacks ... so why not on a screwed bezel ?

Have you ever tried to open a really tight caseback (many threads on the subject already)? Tape bunches, friction balls are out of question as well other common tools. Of course we can't know how tight is the OP one, maybe isn't at all.

Have you ever tried to open a really tight caseback (many threads on the subject already)? Tape bunches, friction balls are out of question as well other common tools. Of course we can't know how tight is the OP one, maybe isn't at all.
Depends on how tight but yes some pretty tight dive watch cases.
Of course it can't compare to a bergeon tool but the only thing I can say is that the "duc-tape tool" works much better than the friction ball.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk