Chinese Timegraphers

18 hours ago, Tudor said:

I guess if it's a matter of accuracy, the investment is worth it to me. But, although I see a calibration port, I have no idea how to actually calibrate it... (I see no calibration tools out there) With regards to cheap measurement tools, as long as I can confirm the accuracy/repeatability I'm good. If a $10 tool can be calibrated to do the job, I'm good. Conversely, if I can't rely on (or confirm) the "cheap" tool, I am not afraid to spend a bit. (I have about four billion dollars in Snap-On automotive tools spanning three generations).

Price difference is not necessarily visual. I've done side-by-side comparison of a watch expert 2 and the 1000 and 1900. Casually with most comparisons they do really quite well it is not necessarily the visual things that make the difference. Witschi is a real company in existence in Switzerland. Some of the Chinese machines have the name WeiShi on them strangely enough it's not mentioned where their addresses is in their book. So they come from China warranty issues technical questions not going get any of that.

In a professional machine you get everything spelled out additional functions greater ranges nicer microphone. These are expected to run every single day in a watch shop. There is better audio processing in a noisy environment the Chinese machines can have problems. Or the ability to listen to your watch versus the irritating beeping sound. Frequency mode  tells the beats per hour of the watch.

Problem watches what does the timing machines do with them? The Chinese less intelligence so usually attempt to show you something where witschi decides that it will save you from the grief and not show you anything. But change the setting of the machine to rate only the machine is no longer trying to calculate amplitude & beat from something it can't you will usually get a display. Occasionally have to go to frequency mode if the machine just can't figure out what the timing is. Then extremes that really aren't important like extreme low amplitude. Chinese machines have a habit of not reading the right part of the waveform  display something that looks really nice visual the watch does not look nice witschi will go down the 70° which is definitely not a desirable amplitude..

This doesn't necessarily mean witschi was perfect with everything they do. The early days the Chinese would compare to the watch expert 2. In particular the display and they were right display isn't the best. Looks great except it's shiny everything reflects off of it try to photograph it very difficult usually get reflections off of all sorts of stuff. Even talked to another watchmaker he had to put pith wood under the machine to tip it at the right angle so they could see the display and not get the overhead lights. But that is no longer a problem they're all backlit now.

So if you're a professional watchmaker you're probably going to have a witschi. Or if you have lots of money or perhaps a timing machine obsession then those things will influence you. But the Chinese timing machines have one feature extremely important for this group that is there affordable. So the cost of a timing machine is no longer an excuse as to why you don't have one.Then it's important to remember  there is not just for timing of the watch  there really nice diagnostic tool providing you grasp what they're showing.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m looking at timegraphers on Amazon and I think they are the same, just different branding and price:

Weishi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weishi-Timegrapher-NO-1900-Machine-Multifunction/dp/B0178B9DYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531166881&sr=8-2&keywords=timegrapher+1900

Eco-Worthy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-WORTHY-No-1900-Multifunction-Timegrapher-Mechanical/dp/B076WS9PGX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531166881&sr=8-1&keywords=timegrapher+1900

My guess is they are made in the same factory and they are the same thing but you never know. I’m hoping some you might know.

I’m looking at timegraphers on Amazon and I think they are the same, just different branding and price:

Weishi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weishi-Timegrapher-NO-1900-Machine-Multifunction/dp/B0178B9DYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531166881&sr=8-2&keywords=timegrapher+1900

Eco-Worthy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-WORTHY-No-1900-Multifunction-Timegrapher-Mechanical/dp/B076WS9PGX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531166881&sr=8-1&keywords=timegrapher+1900

My guess is they are made in the same factory and they are the same thing but you never know. I’m hoping some you might know.

I would say YES ... the only difference being the "weishi" brand printed on one of the items, just to mimic "witschi" brand.
If you fell to take your chance about import taxes on AliExpress you can get that item much cheaper here http://s.aliexpress.com/nYJjyqI7?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/13/2014 at 9:12 PM, Mark said:

The 1900 give you the option to manually select the beat. This can be very useful. The 1000 is very limited in this respect. Having said that, the 1000 is excellent for majority of watches you would work on, no good for co-axials but good for the most common beat ranges.

My 1900 does an excellent job, gives me a good low down on bal/esc cond. I could not live without it when servicing a watch.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

not sure if I'm interpreting your question correctly? So I've attached a couple of pictures showing the sensor found in the microphone. You have to disassemble the assembly to get to the sensor. Then if you want any more pictures of the inside of the 1000 let me i photographed everything when I had a part.

tgp2.JPG

tgp1.JPG

So the sound is not picked up through the metal stop by contact with the watch.  My timegrapher's stop tends to scratch the watch so if I puts some tape or heat shrink on the metal stop it would not reduce the ability to measure the sounnd?

Thanks for your reply.

timing machine pickups are interesting they pick up the vibration of the watch. While the sound is a vibration they have to make physical contact with whatever they're picking up. So you cannot insulate the metal part because it has to make physical contact with the watch. the vibration picked up at the top  is transmitted down to the sensor. So any form of insulation preventing the vibration getting to the metal part means the pickup doesn't get anything either. So if it's scratching because there's a sharp edge you can smooth that off.

Putting tape on that metal piece which is sharp makes little to no difference to the pickup of the microphone. I do just that and get a good signal with no problems. I've tested it both ways on my 1900 and a bit of tape works a treat.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I have a Timegrapher 1900 and I could not live without it !. I think that it is an excellent bit of kit for the money. Years ago I had a Vibrograph and other things left to me and I disposed of the lot for almost nothing. I should have kept the spring winder tho. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking on ebay at a Weishi Multifunction Timegrapher model 1000 for about $150.  I don't know anything about timing machines, how they work, how to use them or how to regulate a watch but I now have several watches from pocket watches to wrist watches that need to be timed.  Is this a usable machine and do you need to be a rocket scientist to use one?  As always, thanks in advance, Dan.

Hi Dan. I have a Weishi and it works great. You certainly don't need to be a rocket scientist to use it but there is quite a bit you should learn about. Beat errors, lift angles positional adjusting.There is a great video here on how to regulate watches.

But if you really want to get into it, there is a great book called Practical Watch Adjusting by Donald De Carle. You can buy it on Amazon. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2014 at 12:54 AM, haratua said:

The newer Timegrapher 1000 works on Co-axials as well as option to manually select the beat rate. My understanding is that the limitations of the older 1000 (as per Mark's comments) were not hardware limitations but rather software's. If you get a new Timegrapher 1000 today you should be able to use it on Co-axial as well as manually select the beat rate. For common beat rate, you could just set it to Auto (e.g. 12000, 14400, 18000, 19800, 21600, 25200, 28800, 36000, 43200). For not so common beat rate, you can select manual beat rate.

The following is a video of my Omega Co-Axial 3313 on newer Timegrapher 1000 (DD position, Lift Angle 38 degree, Beat rate set to Auto).

Very much agree with the above as I have the new Witchi 1000 which does indeed work with my co-axial Omega cal 8800.

• 1 month later...

I have had the 1900 for many years. If I remember correctly I choose this model because it is capable of measuring a co-axle movement.

Also the with 1900 you can adjust the signal level which I use when testing a pin lever movement. I don't think the 1000 has this facility. 

Having just gotten a 1900 i'm curious about this.
I note it has dual colour tracking dots rather than white on a black screen but I'm unsure beyond this what it has that the other model doesn't.
I have read in a few places that both units, (provided they're not really old models) can measure co-axial escapements but I cannot confirm this.

I'd be happy to list all the menu options on mine to do a side by side comparison against a weishi 1000 unit if a user would be happy to do the same?

Afaik the difference is dual colour display and you can alter the gain on the mic. I know plenty of people who do just fine with the 1000, I went for the 1900 as the difference in price was less than a parts watch, but I did find a good deal about 2 years ago for someone selling new ones via eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...