Eta2892 Automatic question

I have a question about the ETA2892 automatic movement, this has happened with the same customer. He calls me every four months to say that his watch has stopped. As soon as i get it i wind it manually and it works with no problems. Well he just called me and its been probably about 3 to 5 months since last time his watched stopped. I wind the watch 30 times and it runs with no problems. I just asked him if he ever winds the watch manually and he says he never does he just allows the movement of his write to wind it daily. My question is does anyone know how long the power reserve would last if someone never manually winds an automatic and just lets the power of his or her wrist wind it daily.

Thanks

N my experience few winds to start and then I never need the need to manually wind if a daily wearer, others may chime in, maybe the mainspring is a bit to slippy!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks, so i asked the customer if he wears it everyday and his response was "I was not wearing it everyday for a few weeks. When it was really hot here a few weeks ago I took it off. It was probably off for 10 days. Then started wearing it everyday again for my trip. Wore it 5 or 6 days before it stopped". I asked him if it was running when he had it off for the 10 days and he said no.

If he wears the watch by day and is active and he takes it off at night, that watch should be still going the next day and keeping time when he puts it back on. Ask him how long he keeps it on his wrist. After a few winds that watch should not stop.

It is in part dependent on how active he is when he is wearing it. If he drives to work, works at a desk all day, drives home, and the sits watching tv all evening, the autowind is unlikely be working very hard and so little will be added to the power reserve. If on the other hand he walks to work, spends his day on his feet at some manual activity, walks home, and then spends his evening enjoying an active hobby, the autowing will be working overtime and the power reserve will remain very healthy.

It is always important get and idea of the level of daily activity the watch is subjected to when a customer complains that his autowinding watch keeps stopping.

Also, an automatic watch winding machine is a valuable asset when it comes to testing the auto watches that you work on before they go back to the customer.

7 minutes ago, fuse63 said:

could this also be a problem with the reverse wheel? Seeing that if I wind it manually it is running with no problems.

Could be. If you wind it 30 times and put it at rest?  How long will it work before it stops?  If he let it stop and then wear it for a day it should be fully wind i think. Then it should at least run 30-40 hours before stopping. If not something is wrong. Check the reversing wheel and the bearings. 

I did wind it 30 times at 12:00 so it has been running now for 4 and a half hours keeping accurate time. I will let you know in 30 - 40 hours how it did. The amplitude from the balance looks very strong and once i get to my bench i will put it on my timing machine and can let you know. At this point i think it has to do with the reversing wheel or the bearings and am leaning towards the reversing wheel. Are there any list of problems that you could think that would point to it being the reversing wheel?