I'm new, and trying to fix an allenby - Baumgartner 866

jonny

hi, 

I managed to get my allenby Baumgartner 866 working again after removing the main wheel (balance and hairspring one), I oiled it with slug slime oil.  In the process of putting the crown back in (to fit in the case) i managed to brake some kind of spring that pushes the gears back, so now i cant wind it, crown only adjusts time either pulled in or pulled out. so yeah i can replace that i assume, no big deal i can just open it up and wind the winder manually. its all back together apart from not been able to wind it. Then its too fast! like 43sec to do 60sec! - and + did nothing. I assumed the hairspring was to tight so i reopened it and took the balance wheel out again, and now the hairspring is damaged I think? not sure. I dont know what i did, im an idiot :( see pics. its a mess. I put the balance wheel back but it wont start now, dont know whats happened to the hairspring.

i want to learn how to fix them but :( :pulling-hair-out: I thought about converting it to quartz but its not the same :( 

i assume this is the movement? http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Baumgartner_866

20180509_150129.jpg

20180509_150408.jpg

20180522_205326.jpg

20180522_221604.jpg

20180522_221655.jpg

20180522_221738.jpg

4 hours ago, jonny said:

I assumed the hairspring was to tight so i reopened it and took the balance wheel out again, and now the hairspring is damaged I think? not sure. I dont know what i did, im an idiot :( see pics. its a mess.

No you're simply another one that happily underestimated the difficulty and skills needed to work on watches, and consequently damaged a nice piece, as you probably didn't even consider to get started and practice on zero value items first, watching Mark's videos, reading books, etc. Admittedly did that too when I was 11 years old, and still break things occasionally.

Be reassured that's is nothing compared to the random appearance of people here that wants to build a complete  from scratch, repair their flooded $10,,000 Rolex by themselves, etc. Of course after the initial round of enthusiastic postings, nothing is heard from them anymore.

I suggest that for now you leave that aside to be repaired by someone that knows what he's doing. If you really want to learn, take baby steps, and enjoy the path that leads to results... eventually. 

Welcome to the forum!

What you're playing with is basically the most sensitive part of the watch.... I think you're better off starting over from scratch, buying cheap movements to practice on, all the tools you needs, and then, try to fix the mess. We're talking at least a few months worth of practice here.

Or you can take it to a pro who will fix it for you, but we're probably talking many 100s of dollars at this point... (a proper cleaning of a working watch would have cost a couple 100s maybe)

It is a nice watch, it's a shame it got all mangled up. If you do decide to take on this hobby, watch all the videos, ask questions, take it slow. In a few months, you'll be very proud to have a working watch again (just make sure you break a few cheap ones first).

3 hours ago, frenchie said:

Welcome to the forum!

What you're playing with is basically the most sensitive part of the watch.... I think you're better off starting over from scratch, buying cheap movements to practice on, all the tools you needs, and then, try to fix the mess. We're talking at least a few months worth of practice here.

Or you can take it to a pro who will fix it for you, but we're probably talking many 100s of dollars at this point... (a proper cleaning of a working watch would have cost a couple 100s maybe)

It is a nice watch, it's a shame it got all mangled up. If you do decide to take on this hobby, watch all the videos, ask questions, take it slow. In a few months, you'll be very proud to have a working watch again (just make sure you break a few cheap ones first).

welcome to the forum.  i would put that nice watch away and repair it after you "become a pro" AND don't give up!   vin