Mainspring question

Hello everyone. I am new to watch repair and am trying to find a mainspring for my beautiful Waltham pocket watch. I looked up the serial number 16253552 and found the following pertenent info.

Grade 161, model 1907, size 0s

With that I ordered a mainspring thinking I had the correct info but it turned out entirely wrong.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks, Terry

Hello everyone. I am new to watch repair and am trying to find a mainspring for my beautiful Waltham pocket watch. I looked up the serial number 16253552 and found the following pertenent info.
With that I ordered a mainspring thinking I had the correct info but it turned out entirely wrong.
Thanks, Terry

Do you have the old one. If so, measure the thickness (strength), height and determine the end type. Also measure the barrel diameter. Go to cousinsuk.com and then search for those parameters. Should be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, TerryMcCabe said:

Thanks, Terry

Hi Terry

First upload a good  photo of the movement so we can see it clearly.

I looked up your  movement and got the same information

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this .

TFitz

Capture06.JPG

Hey Terry,
I have some experience with this as I’ve been working with a Waltham 0 size as well. There are three model numbers of mainspring to choose from. The main difference being the width. You’ll have to measure either the width of the old mainspring or the inside of the barrel wall. Should be either: 1.5mm, 1.7mm, or 2.0mm. Remember when you measure it may not be exact. If you measure the barrel wall, choose the closest one that is the smallest, so you have room for the cap to fit. Otherwise the mainspring will stick out the top. I would recommend alloy. I have found plenty of fine examples on eBay, ofrei if you don’t mind paying a little more.
One last thing. I have had trouble with mainsprings slipping on the Walthams. After doing a little research, it seems you have to put a small bend at the arbor side so it will catch on the hook of the arbor. I have not verified it yet, but there is info out there with a google search.
Here are the model numbers for you:
https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/reference/mainsprings/waltham

Hope that helps get you started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1