Junk evaluation

Hello all. I searched for a topic on junk evaluation, but could find none.

I just joined Mark’s course, and in the excitement of learning, asked a local watch repairer for a few junk movements, so I could practise a bit before receiving my chinese clone. But to my surprise, i got two working watches, and some fancy junk. My question regards the memosail, the working ones and the pocket omega. Is it possible that the repairer gave something he should keep? Should I return these?

The list:

VIP memosail 17 jewels

Citizen cronograph automatic 23 jewels

Omega pocket

Working movements:

Vedeor 17 rubis incabloc (nothing on google)

Orient automatic 21 jewels ee599c05f6de0a1b0ea40ab6766b0fad.jpg

Hello all. I searched for a topic on junk evaluation, but could find none.
I just joined Mark’s course, and in the excitement of learning, asked a local watch repairer for a few junk movements, so I could practise a bit before receiving my chinese clone. But to my surprise, i got two working watches, and some fancy junk. My question regards the memosail, the working ones and the pocket omega. Is it possible that the repairer gave something he should keep? Should I return these?
The list:
VIP memosail 17 jewels
Citizen cronograph automatic 23 jewels
Omega pocket

Working movements:

Vedeor 17 rubis incabloc (nothing on google)
Orient automatic 21 jewels ee599c05f6de0a1b0ea40ab6766b0fad.jpg&key=07500ec76fd47f5bae6e16a40a445463eceb04990984b18d3131e90fbafe1c9e

c254b6a03aa1e024a466e8bb0852ed9e.jpg

The memosail is a high-end watch and some parts are not available. the dial and hands will probably be of value to someone.

The omega pocketwatch is nice but they're not really worth big bucks. They dont have balance protection so the balance is probably broken.

I would save the citizen for late once you've gotten some practice on simpler stuff.

The Orient is a good starter watch.. better than most chinese clones.

Not sure of the vedeor but should have a jewelled escapement and this would be a good starter watch, especially if it has an Incabloc shockprotection.

Don't feel bad about the fact the dealer may have given you a valuable watch, he's a professional (or should be) and should know better. The usual reason for orphaned movements is 1)the shop replaced a non-runner with another working movement or 2)the case was gold and that was sold for scrap. My guess is (1) for your bare movements like the Citizen and Memosail.

Another scenario is the older watch repair guy is no longer around and the new guy has no use for these things.

My personal experience, after checking the movement of a watch that's sent to me for service, I have sometimes found that the watch is not repairable or would cost to much to repair. After telling the owner the news some have opted not to repair but have later come back after having sourced a similar watch/movement and requested me to do the transplant. They usually have no interest in the original unusable movement so it goes in my part stash.

Good luck and have fun!

Anilv

• Like 2

The memosail is a high-end watch and some parts are not available. the dial and hands will probably be of value to someone.
The omega pocketwatch is nice but they're not really worth big bucks. They dont have balance protection so the balance is probably broken.
I would save the citizen for late once you've gotten some practice on simpler stuff.
The Orient is a good starter watch.. better than most chinese clones.
Not sure of the vedeor but should have a jewelled escapement and this would be a good starter watch, especially if it has an Incabloc shockprotection.
Don't feel bad about the fact the dealer may have given you a valuable watch, he's a professional (or should be) and should know better. The usual reason for orphaned movements is 1)the shop replaced a non-runner with another working movement or 2)the case was gold and that was sold for scrap. My guess is (1) for your bare movements like the Citizen and Memosail.
Another scenario is the older watch repair guy is no longer around and the new guy has no use for these things.
My personal experience, after checking the movement of a watch that's sent to me for service, I have sometimes found that the watch is not repairable or would cost to much to repair. After telling the owner the news some have opted not to repair but have later come back after having sourced a similar watch/movement and requested me to do the transplant. They usually have no interest in the original unusable movement so it goes in my part stash.
Good luck and have fun!
Anilv

Thank you Anilv. I took your advice and started with the orient. It is funny how monstrous the eta 6497 look in comparison.
Having a lot of fun. Nothing lost or broken yet.:)
  • Like 1

I agree regarding that Memosail. Very cool piece that I’d like to add to my collection some day. Parts are quite hard to get but there are plenty of good runners out there. I’d hold that I reserve with The chronograph for later.